Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Steam & Excursion > Railroad Logging the Tillamook Burn in Oregon

Date: 05/05/16 02:35
Railroad Logging the Tillamook Burn in Oregon
Author: GYModeller

This color photograph of Consolidated Timber Company 2-8-2 #3 was taken in August of 1942 by Professor (and later Dean) Walter F. McCulloch of the School of Forestry at Oregon State College (now the College of Forestry at Oregon State University).The Consolidated Timber Company was formed in 1933 by three large timber owners (Blodgett Company, the Crossett Western Company, and Henry F. Chaney) to salvage the timber killed by the 350,000 acre Tillamook Burn of 1933 in the NW corner of Oregon (this was the first of four large forest fires in the area). Operations ceased in 1946 when the last of the dead timber was cut. Locomotive #3 was a 1925 product of the Baldwin Locomotive Works (construction number 58678).

David

Date: 05/05/16 03:39
Re: Railroad Logging the Tillamook Burn in Oregon
Author: LoggerHogger

Great photo!  Very rare to see any color of this operation.  I love the little caboose built up from a single disconnect truck.

#3 came from Hobi Timber in Washington State and was cut up at the end of the Consolidated operations.

Consolidated also had a tank mallet in service.  She was #4 as we see here.  #4 had come from Hammond Lumber at Mill City, Oregon and after Consolidated was through with her she went to Arizona where she worked for Saginaw & Manistee and later for Southwest Lumber Mills.  She was finally scrapped in the late 1950's.

The shops and camp at Glenwood, Oregon for Consolidated were quite impressive.  The shop building and a couple of the small buildings are still in use today.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/16 04:02 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 05/05/16 15:05
Author: GYModeller

Martin,

Thank your for your comment. Frankly, you are the inspiration for me making this posting. I am in awe of your amazing collection of photos and I greatly admire your generosity in sharing them with others. I have a few more of Mac McCulloch's photographs that I will be posting in the new few days. Mac was an avid photographer who was ruthless in weeding his collection. Unfortunately, he died with no heirs so his collection was thrown out. The photos I have are copies that he allowed me to make back in the 1960s because he knew of my interest in logging railroads. By posting these, I hope to keep the knowledge of his photographic skills alive.

David

Date: 05/06/16 03:30
Author: LoggerHogger

David,

Thanks for keeping his memeory alive.  It is sad how many great photo collections have been tossed by the heirs of the ones who took the photos.  I have saved a few such collections before they were tossed as well.

I look forward to seeing what else you post.

Martin

Date: 05/06/16 07:51
Author: asheldrake

we think we will live forever and thus do nothing about thinking about / planning for preservation before we die.   I have suggested and will continue to do so, to our archives folk, that they need to be proactive with our PNWC-NRHS members by getting information out to them on our interest in preserving their important RR materials.  we should care enough about our collections to plan for their dispostion.....Arlen

Date: 05/06/16 12:57
Author: Kimball

I just Gotta make me a mini-caboose like that to run behind my 71/2" gauge live steamer! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds