Author: Ardenwood

1.  I saw a cold engine and live SP1744 early that morning
2.  A kind fireman showed me the inside of SP1744 cab
3.  The depot had a nice semaphore

Date: 01/05/17 12:44
Re: A Day in Heber Creeper

4.  SP1744 at the depot
5.  Across the reservoir the train looks small under the white mountain and thin belt of fall colors
6.  The train comes home inb the evening

Date: 01/05/17 13:01
Author: refarkas

My favorite photos are five with the mountain towering over the train and six with the train coming home at night. These both have an artistic touch to them.
Bob

Date: 01/05/17 13:52
Author: Bob3985

FYI that is a train order signal at the depot. Semeaphores on the railroads I knew were the wayside signals along the right of way. Although this is of the same design.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/05/17 13:52

And I miss 618.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/05/17 14:01
Author: HotWater

Nice.  Did I miss the date/dates of the photos?

Date: 01/05/17 14:09
Author: LoggerHogger

Great photos Haruo.  The "cold engine" you mention in the first photo is former Sierra RR #36 that worked at Heber for a number of years.

Martin

Date: 01/05/17 14:17
Author: Superstock

Looks much different up in Heber now.  Where is the SP 1744 now?  Pretty sure no longer in Heber.

Date: 01/05/17 14:20
Author: randyr

Ardenwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4.  SP1744 at the depot
> 5.  Across the reservoir the train looks small
> under the white mountain and thin belt of fall
> colors
> 6.  The train comes home inb the evening

I like the photo of 1744 by the depot because that is me in the cab as the fireman. I am guessing late fall 1982. If it was the same day as the cab interior shot, it was me who let you up for a look. Thanks for posting, the was a fun summer job and weekend job in the fall while attending college.

Randy in PHX.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/05/17 19:45
Author: RuleG

Superstock Wrote:
> Looks much different up in Heber now.  Where is
> the SP 1744 now?  Pretty sure no longer in Heber.

Ten years ago, 1744 was operating on the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad out of Alamosa, CO.

Date: 01/05/17 20:27

Thank you refarkas, Bob3985 for the distinction, LoggerHogger for the id of the cold engine, and for Superstock .Are you in Pictures 4-6 rantyr?  Thank you again for your kindness 33 years ago.    I think the most reliable date is Oct 1982 and SP1744 is at San Louis & Rio Grande near La Venta Pass. 

Date: 01/06/17 05:15
Author: atsf121

Nice photos, 1744 was my favorite engine at the Heber Creeper. Things sure have changed as mentioned. The depot has been moved a bit and isn't in use, and the trains terminate about a half mile south now. The original Heber depot is still there, it was to the right of the photographer when you are looking at the depot photo. Fun memories of when I would visit my grandma as a kid.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/06/17 08:05

Many moons ago a good friend of mine on the Heber Crew let me come up and fire and run the 618 during one of our convention trips to Salt lake. Thanks to John and Doug for providing the great memories. In fact I was given the scoop shovel at our convention banquet as a momento and it still is here in my posession today.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/06/17 09:38

Yes, that is me, thanks for posting the photos. My wife and younger son got a kick out of them. 

Randy in PHX

Date: 01/06/17 10:59
Author: ATSF1129

The depot shown does not appear to be the original D&RGW Depot, but it is not the one currently in use, so where was it, and where did it go?

Date: 01/06/17 11:29
Author: atsf121

El_Duderino Wrote:
> The depot shown does not appear to be the original
> D&RGW Depot, but it is not the one currently in
> use, so where was it, and where did it go?

The original DRGW depot is still in it's original spot on 600 W and Center St. The one in the photo was originally from Honeyville, UT and is up on cribbing again slightly to the west of the spot in the photo. The new depot that the Heber Valley Railroad now uses was custom built at the sight.

Really wish they still used the old depot, such a waste that they had to build all new facilities.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/07/17 21:41
Author: WRRC

The depot is still in Heber, but it was moved a number of years ago. It is still on the same lot, just not the same location. Bob thanks for the comments. The fireman looks like Brian Morris, who is now the longest standing Heber employee. Randy in PHX...if you say it is you, I just can't place the face or remember your last name.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/08/17 11:38

Riter, I worked there summers and off season 1980-82. I know me, even after over 34+ years :).

Randy in PHX, where I am worried about mowing the nice green winter grass, trimming the roses and keeping the pool clean over the winter.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0758 seconds