Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Steam & Excursion > Water Treatment at South Amboy?

Date: 04/22/17 14:07
Water Treatment at South Amboy?
Author: wcamp1472

Hey, Jack!

What regimen did the gang at Sout Amboy use when treating the boiler water for the PRR K4-class , the times while you were there?

That was pretty much 'captive'. service? Right?

W.

P.S.
( seems like the crude word processing program dropped the Bold, Italics & Underline edits...why?)

Date: 04/22/17 14:16
Re: Water Treatment at South Amboy?
Author: HotWater

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey, Jack!
>
> What regimen did the gang at Sout Amboy use when
> treating the boiler water for the PRR K4-class ,
> the times while you were there?
>
> That was pretty much 'captive'. service? Right?
>
>
> W.
>
>
> P.S.
> ( seems like the crude word processing program
> dropped the Bold, Italics & Underline
> edits...why?)

Wes,

All I remember was the 50 pound bags of Nalco "balls". On the other hand, the water seemed to be VERY good quality on the Long Branch, because the one time I participated in a boiler wash, there sure didn't seem to be a lot of crap comping out of all the open washout plugs.

Date: 04/22/17 15:36
Author: Frisco1522

You ever do a boiler wash on an engine that's run in TX for a while? It ain't pretty.

Date: 04/22/17 18:41
Author: LJohnson

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You ever do a boiler wash on an engine that's run
> in TX for a while? It ain't pretty.

Montana is about the same!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/22/17 20:58
Author: elu34ch

Jersey shore water had salt-water taffy as a prime component.

Date: 04/23/17 13:41
Author: wcamp1472

Jack...

When I first returned to Jersey ( after a stint a York, Pa) I tried firing for Ross and BR&W #60 ----- summer of '67----- not very successfully.
They were using water treatment balls in the tender.......had a 'laundry basket'. submerged with a couple of balls rolling around...
The balls seemed to dissolve slowly, like, each one took a couple of days to disappear, IIRC.....

That seemed to be the extent of their program.....So, it makes sense since both Carl Conover and Lloyd Arkinstall were working at the NY@LB , down at Bay Head. They were key members the BR&W engine crew, and brought thier practices from the K4 era witht them. Conover taught me how to bank 'me good and solid so they'd stay HOT for days.....chock ful of water and a well coked deep bank....as they'd let layover at Bay Head. ( using the lazy-man's approach--- especially if you were fire watching a whole yard-full of banked power....saved you from having to run all over the yard all the time to check up on them.)

Some continuing threads re: the 844 story, talk of adding "barrels-full" of treatment at each water stop!
OMG!!!!

W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/17 15:46 by wcamp1472.

Date: 04/23/17 18:00
Author: HotWater

Wes,

Sounds logical.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds