Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Steam & Excursion > Updated info on restoration of SP786 Austin, TX

Date: 04/27/17 11:39
Updated info on restoration of SP786 Austin, TX
Author: sptno

I contacted the Austin Steam Train Association (ASTA) concerning the status on the restoration of Southern Pacific 786.

They did not have any good news as there are no projected plans on getting the SP Mike back in operation and service.

So, I guess for now the steam locomotive will still be in pieces in the ASTA yard in Cedar Park, Texas.

I guess that there is no real interest or money in getting the steam locomotive operational again.

If this is the case, then I think that they should put it back together, give a coat of paint and put it on display.

Wish I had better news.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 04/27/17 12:08
Re: Updated info on restoration of SP786 Austin, TX
Author: Hillcrest

Just as a refresher, wasn't this supposed to be one of the most extensive overhaul-to-operation ever attempted? This is the locomotive that they cast new cylinders for, yes? If so, they must have a mountain of money tied up in it at this point, correct?

Cheers, Dave

Date: 04/27/17 12:56
Author: BigSkyBlue

I don't wish any ill on 786, but I'm very happy with the Alligator and the new Alco to supplement it. BSB

Date: 04/27/17 14:05

The alligator and it's replacement have issues and are not currently running.
They had to get a lease unit, HZRX 3134 to supplement their motive power.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 04/27/17 14:08

Yes, you are correct.
I was a volunteer during the first rebuild, restoration effort.
Learned a lot, had fun(if that is what you want to call hot, dirty, sweaty work), was a great experience.

The volunteers that helped developed a lot of emotional ties to the locomotive because we spent a lot of time and effort during the restoration effort.

Would like to see it running again, but not holding my breath.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 04/29/17 04:37
Author: TrackGuy

It seemed over the last couple of years that a small bevy of volunteers was steadily working on starting the reassembly process. Even last year they were still apparently working with the Strasburg shops to fabricate new driver journal boxes which I'm sure isn't an inexpensive proposition. What I can't fathom is to spend the money they have so far on the boiler at Bob Yuill's shop in Alabama plus the design, foundry and machining expense invested in a new set of cylinders and now to to essentially abandon the project. Does anyone know how much the ASTA has spent so far on the project? While they still have a ways to go, this has got to be a hard to pill to swallow for those that have been so dedicated to seeing the project through to this point. Further, what does it say about the mission and the focus of the ASTA BOD? After all, "Steam" is still in the organization's name and you would think it would still be part of their mission statement.

TG

Date: 04/29/17 09:56

Having worked with ASTA as a volunteer and a dues paying member at the early start of the project, the public will never know how much money was spent on the restoration project.
I know of several instances where folks have donated large sums of money specifically to finish the project, yet, the locomotive is still in pieces.
Even if I live closer, I don't know if I would spend the time and effort dealing with the current setup of ASTA.
It seems that there is little or on interest in steam operations from those in charge, except maybe for a very few of the original members who I assume have very little voice in getting 786 operational.
It is a hard pillow to swallow, especially for those of us who helped move 786 from behind the fire station in downtown Austin over a 2 day period and then spent approximately 2 years helping with the restoration effort.
We felt proud that we had accomplished something when 786 became operational hauling passengers to Burnet.
At this point in time with no foreseeable operational future for 786, I think that they should just re-assemble the locomotive as is and return it to the City of Austin or put it on display, aka stuffed and mounted.
That is hard for me to say, but it's better that it laying around in pieces in the grass and dirt in Cedar Park.
Also, ASTA should take the word 'Steam' out of their name because they have not had an operational steam locomotive for a number of years. They should also remove it from their mission statement.

It's all too sad to dwell on. There are more important things these days to deal with.

Pat
South Austin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds