Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Steam & Excursion > Another SP AC4 with a WestBound

Date: 04/28/17 12:39
Another SP AC4 with a WestBound
Author: Barstool

The date is April 2 1953 and AC4 4112 has a Roseville-Oakland Drag on the move past the Martinez depot...for almost three and a half years, the AC4's were the power of choice, backed up by 4300's and 4400's while the 3200/3300's,2400's filled in on the Tracy-Oakland traffic via the mococo line...Altamont had no rules as to what power was used, as about any combination you could think of if it was on hand would work be in service.

Date: 04/29/17 09:51
Re: Another SP AC4 with a WestBound
Author: lynnpowell

How fast would this train be running coming off the bridge and going through Martinez? (They look like they are moving pretty fast!) Is that "your transportation" along the left border of the photo?

Date: 04/29/17 10:20

Lynn.....The WB's generally rolled thru Martinez if there wasn't a passenger at the depot at a bout 30MPH, some times, doing 40 or 45, I saw a stock extra with a GS on the lead fly thru Martinez, and after the train went by, the smell hung around for about a half hour the city council complained to the SP that they should have given the town a warming, but what would that prove???...And yes, the bike was my transportation.....These C4's were true war horses....

Date: 04/29/17 12:02
Author: Westbound

Well, your bike looks like one of those old 3-speeds I always wanted. Over by the depot, the car nearest the street looks very similar to my folks' 1948 brown over green Chevrolet, but they never visited Martinez so I never got to enjoy this place until long after steam was gone.

Meanwhile, the gate watchman must be out of sight but present, since his "STOP Gateman Absent" warning sign is laid off to the side of the crossing. You can be sure the crew in that cab-forward was always a bit leary of this crossing because it was the only access to the oil & gasoline distributor on the bay side of the tracks.

Date: 04/29/17 13:10

Westbound....The siding you mention was for a 76 bulk station that took three dome tank cars along with single domes and a box car once in a while...also the siding was used by CLYDE BEATTY circus which use to stop in Martinez....

Date: 04/30/17 10:32
Author: emeryg

Hello new member I am. Does anyone know the timing of the RBBB train to Providence. Thank you for accepting this message.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds