Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Steam & Excursion > Great depression and steam

Date: 05/17/17 18:28
Great depression and steam
Author: tomstp

The Marshall Tx shops of the T&P had a small yard next to it mostly for cars and engines that needed repair. But, during the depression it became choked with stored engines. The picture has 4-6-0's, 2-8-0, 4-6-2 and 2-10-2 engines in storage.

Ft Worth had a large amount of 2-10-2's stored along with a few 2-10-4's. 632 is an example of that, note the front coupler has been removed to prevent anyone coupling to it and moving it. World War II changed all that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/17 18:34 by tomstp.

Date: 05/20/17 15:18
Re: Great depression and steam
Author: agentatascadero

I'm amazed at the relative youth of T&P's largest power in the dead line. Shop forces must have been very busy and a full strength as such power was readied for service as the depression turned into preparation for war.
AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/21/17 08:31
Re: Great depression and steam
Author: sgriggs

I would imagine that the engines being stored in the photos tended to be the ones that were in need of the costliest repairs at a time when traffic volumes were way down. Even relatively new power eventually needs class repairs. Businesses in the Depression were trying to survive, which meant preserving cash. I wondered if the front coupler on the 2-10-4 had been removed not to prevent it from being moved, but because they needed functioning coupler on an active locomotive and didn't want to issue a purchase order.

Scott Griggs
Louisville, KY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0246 seconds