Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Steam & Excursion > Chama du Jour #44

Date: 05/18/17 07:18
Chama du Jour #44
Author: BoilingMan

Continued...

I thought this was kinda cool- the '97 with a plow.  So far I haven't come across any more photos of this, but I still have a dozen or so rolls to scan yet.  I think this is the same plow the 489 wore for a season or two.  Sorry, I didn't note the year- maybe Earl has it in his notes-  Earl?
On this particular morning I rode the head end with Earl.  We were the road engine behind a helper to Cumbres.  (These were the last frames of this roll and I haven't found the next roll, so this is my only record of the ride)  I tried my hand with the scoop with shameful results:  I'm a lefty, and the locomotives are definitely intended to be fired by righties!  For me trying to hit the peddle with my left foot and steer the scoop with my right hand was right up there with walking and chewing gum-  it was a far better thing that I just sit down and keep my hands to myself...
Damn, that was embarrassing.
SR

Date: 05/18/17 07:36
Re: Chama du Jour #44
Author: co614

Thanks for all your great photos and the equally good comments. Everyone wasn't meant to be a fireman !!

Ross Rowland

Date: 05/18/17 07:48

Ha! Thanks Ross.

Well I'm sure no good with hand-bombing! I had better luck with oil on the '49 with Doyle (see Sept '16 TRAINS).
Maybe next time you get the 614 out on the road I'll beg you for a try with an auger?
SR

Date: 05/18/17 09:04
Author: hogheaded

So, is the 497 now in running condition? She was out of service when I visited Chama a half dozen years ago. One of the "Friends" told me that there was not a lot of enthusiasm for repairing her. I was bummed, since I've never seen a 490 under steam.

EO

Date: 05/18/17 09:26
Author: Jason-Rose

The universe seems a bit more in-order when Earl is in that seat.

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Date: 05/18/17 10:45

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, is the 497 now in running condition? She was
> out of service when I visited Chama a half dozen
> years ago. One of the "Friends" told me that there
> was not a lot of enthusiasm for repairing her. I
> was bummed, since I've never seen a 490 under
> steam.
>
> EO

Yeah, I liked having the 497 to add a bit of variety when photographing, but I'm going to make the wild assumption this doesn't weigh to heavily in the calculations involved in reviving her.
All the same, the K-37's are interesting, both historically and ascetically (even more so with a plow!)
SR

Date: 05/19/17 08:38
Author: Earlk

Pics taken in 2001, the last year I worked for the C&TS.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds