Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Steam & Excursion > Chama du Jour #49

Date: 05/23/17 08:54
Chama du Jour #49
Author: BoilingMan

Continued...

Some more shots from lingering around Cumbres watching the helpers turn.  There are 2 locomotives in this sequence, so I guess I'd followed a Triple Header up the hill that day.
I have an inordinate number of watering photos- somehow watching the splash of an overflowing tender never gets old..
SR

Date: 05/23/17 08:55
Re: Chama du Jour #49

Date: 05/23/17 09:23
Author: refarkas

Thanks for sharing your book-quality images.
Bob

Date: 05/23/17 11:52
Author: hogheaded

AHH! The 487 again, my favorite Rio Grande loco! Note how much better it looks with that snowplow than the chinless 488 (ptooey!). I fell in love with the loco when I first encountered it simmering-away outside the Durango roundhouse many moons ago - yes it had the plow. Thanks for these and your previous photos of same, SR. They're G-r-r-reat!

EO

Date: 05/23/17 12:07

My fave has always been the 484. I suppose mostly because of the number itself- it has a nice ring to it.
Also there was a period of time when most (all?) of the K-37's were sent South and the K-36's sent North- except the 484 & 488 which stayed behind to protect the San Juan. (I think because they had signal lines) So I always consider them Home Town girls. 484 & 488 pulled the last San Juan's.
SR

Date: 05/23/17 13:17
Author: WP282

#487 became my favorite when I had the opportunity to ride in the left seat from Osier to Sublett, close to 20 years ago. I'll be returning this summer for the first time since then.

Do they still allow cab rides?

Mike

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/23/17 13:35
Author: Jason-Rose

WP282 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do they still allow cab rides?

Not unless you know someone.

But, there is the Engineer/Fireman School that will give you plenty of cab time.

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds