Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Steam & Excursion > FWRHS Preps 624 For Move

Date: 06/20/17 09:08
FWRHS Preps 624 For Move
Author: filmteknik

Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society has been prepping NKP 2-8-2 624 for movement from its Hammond, IN display site. Cab sits nearby. CSSSB caboose has been moved to the Grammlings making room to separate the tender and move it back.

Date: 06/20/17 19:19
Re: FWRHS Preps 624 For Move
Author: TexasRocket

Is this going in for a cosmetic or full restoration?

Date: 06/20/17 19:28
Author: Spoony81

TexasRocket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this going in for a cosmetic or full
> restoration?

Cosmetic

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/20/17 19:41
Author: MJV1988

Not necessarily. I believe they have said they will look into it depending on how much work is required if a full restoration is what they choose to do. So it's not out of the question yet.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/20/17 19:53
Author: TexasRocket

This will be an interesting resto to follow should they determine to return to operation. Thanks for the answers, gentlemen.

Date: 06/21/17 05:13
Author: sierrawestern

Is it being taken apart to some extent for transport by truck? Is the smokebox cover off to remove the superheater units and flues to reduce the weight. I grew up in Hammond and have known this engine since the early 1960's. It was placed on display there in 1955. I always thought it would rot away right where it stood or the city would get tired of it and have it cut up and removed but I'm glad to see the Fort Wayne group take it even if it is only for cosmetic restoration. Better than watching a rusting hulk slowly rot away.

Date: 06/21/17 06:22
Author: junctiontower

It IS going by truck, but I don't know how what still needs to come off to get it ready to move.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0279 seconds