Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Steam & Excursion > Largest & last built wood burners?

Date: 06/22/17 14:17
Largest & last built wood burners?
Author: Geodyssey

A recent thread on a Brazilian wood burning articulated got me wondering-

What were the largest & last-built wood-burning steam locos?

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,4287900

Date: 06/22/17 17:45
Re: Largest & last built wood burners?
Author: Railpax71

Loggerhogger posted this a few years ago with a picture "As hard to believe as it is, the last wood-burning steam locomotive built for service in the United States was turned out by ALCO in November 1927! That's right, 1927. "
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3341843

Date: 06/22/17 20:09
Author: africansteam

Here is another Brazilian Woodburner of substantial size.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 06/23/17 04:49
Author: LoggerHogger

While not the last wood burner built (that was covered above) this was one of the largest ones built for service in the West.

Here we see East Oregon Lumber Co.'s 70-ton Baldwin Mike as she was delivered from the factory as a wood burner. That took a lot of work to keep her up to pressure burning only wood. Baldwin turned her out in March 1917.

While not quite as heavy as Jack's narrow gauge Mike, EOLC ## was a standard gauge engine. After a few years she was converted to oil for obvious reasons.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 04:53 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/23/17 07:38
Author: march_hare

I think the rail line into Angola (Benguela RR, if memory serves) had Beyer Garratts that were wood burners.  There was a British steam tour video I saw years ago that exclaimed both on their size and the aroma given off by burning eucalyptus logs.

Date: 06/23/17 11:45
Author: africansteam

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the rail line into Angola (Benguela RR, if
> memory serves) had Beyer Garratts that were wood
> burners. 

March_hare, you are correct. Thanks for reminding me. The 1966 Beyer-Garratt catalog shows the Benguela Railway as having purchased six 4-8-2+2-8-4 3'-6" wood burning Garratts in 1926. At 168 Tons in working order these may have been the heaviest wood burning Garratts produced. The next largest wood-burners shown in the catalog comprised a group of twenty seven 4-8-2+2-8-4's built between 1937 and 1939 for the Ivory Coast Railway. These weighed in at 148 tons.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 06/24/17 09:10
Author: Geodyssey

Thanks for all the replies. I can't imagine hand-firing a 150+ ton wood-burning loco.

Which leads to another question: Were there any mechanical-stoked wood burners? Chunks, pellets, sawdust??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds