Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Steam & Excursion > Strasburg on June 10th

Date: 06/27/17 19:28
Strasburg on June 10th
Author: OCtrainguy

As an early Father's Day gift, I took my dad out to Strasburg for the railroad and the museum on June 10th. It's been about 30 years since he was last out there. So this wasn't a railfan trip per se. He took my brother and I when we were kids, my wife took me out there for my birthday, I have taken my kids and now I have taken my dad. So a bit of a family thing here.

We rode the train (had to get the open air coach), had our lunch at Leaman Place to watch the Amtrak Pennsylvanian trains and then enjoyed the museum. Number 90 had the honors of pulling trains that day. Here are some photos.

1. #90 on the runaround in Strasburg
2. #90 on the runaround at Leaman Place
3. The two o'clock train approaching Leaman Place

A few more to follow.

Date: 06/27/17 19:33
Re: Strasburg on June 10th

Continuing the photos...

4. #90 on the runaround at Leaman Place as we wait to board the train
5. Using the silo behind the Red Caboose Motel & Restaurant as the 4:00 p.m. train returns to Strasburg
6. Another view from the silo behind the Red Caboose Motel & Restaurant as the 4:00 p.m. train returns to Strasburg

A few from the museum to follow..

Date: 06/27/17 19:41

The last of the photos.

7. The cosmetically restored Lindbergh engine (it looks really good)
8. PRR mountain 6755
9. PRR GG1 4935 looking real good. (Now if they can show some love to ol' rivets...)

Hope you enjoy the photos. It was a great trip and my dad enjoyed every moment of it, reminiscing a bit, especially with the old RPO cars at the museum that used to run on both the PRR and CNJ via the New York & Long Branch, which is today's New Jersey Transit North Jersey Coast Line.

Date: 06/28/17 05:53
Author: m1bprr

It breaks my heart to see the M1 in that deplorable condition, it should look like this!
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 06/28/17 13:22
Author: burlingtonjohn

OCtrainguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (Now if they can show some love to ol' rivets...)

I visited the museum in August 2015. Had a blast. I could be wrong and freely admit that I usually am, but I remember someone telling me or reading that 4800 (Old Rivets) is not owned by the museum but by an NRHS chapter who's name escapes me. The museum is just providing a safe & secure storage space; any restoration would be up to 4800's owners ...

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 06/28/17 14:08
Author: atsf121

Loved my visit to Strasburg almost 12 years ago and can't wait to go back. Very nice photos, especially of the beautiful countryside.

Nathan

Date: 06/28/17 15:31
Author: chuchubob

burlingtonjohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I could be wrong and freely admit that I usually
> am, but I remember someone telling me or reading
> that 4800 (Old Rivets) is not owned by the museum
> but by an NRHS chapter who's name escapes me. The
> museum is just providing a safe & secure storage
> space; any restoration would be up to 4800's
> owners ...
>
> Regards,
> Burlington John

Perhaps you're thinking of 4859, on display at the Harrisburg Amtrak station. It is owned by the Harrisburg chapter.

Date: 06/28/17 15:49
Author: nycman

I don't see rivets all over 4859.

Date: 06/29/17 20:05
Author: rdg902

Many, many years ago Old Rivets #4800 was owned by the Lancaster PA chapter NRHS but it was donated to the Museum years ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds