Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Trains Like This Still Come Here After All These Decades!

Date: 08/17/17 04:07
Steam Trains Like This Still Come Here After All These Decades!
Author: LoggerHogger

There are a few places in this country that have carried on the tradition of steam railroading long after the age of steam had passed into history. Here is one such location.

In this early photo we see Southern Pacific #2112 and her proud crew posed by the station at Niles, California many, many years ago.

#2112 was a 4-6-0 built for the SP by Rogers in 1881. During her early years she made many such visits to the Niles depot just as she is doing on this day.

Fortunately for all of us, thanks to the efforts of the Pacific Locomotive Association, we can still see steam crews like this one here waiting for us to board a steam powered passenger train at Niles.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/17 04:14 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/17/17 07:26
Re: Steam Trains Like This Still Come Here After All These Decade
Author: cewherry

A fine view indeed. Note the side-door caboose with train indicators on the cupola. The use of these indicators was discontinued in 1931 with
the area blanked out or replaced with clear glass and remained evident throughout their lives some of which lasted into the 1950's.

A couple more observations; the acetylene headlight and shade with its attendant supply tank mounted vertically ahead of the air compressor. I believe
the pull-down shade was necessary to block the light at meeting points otherwise the light wound be an indication that the main
track was obstructed.

2112 was acquired by the San Diego Southeastern in 1912, renumbered #22, and later by the San Diego & Arizona who renumbered it to their #11 in 1920. It was scrapped in 1925.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/17 13:28 by cewherry.

Date: 08/17/17 09:14
Author: TCnR

Another great photo, the ridge in the background is very recognizable.

Any idea who is second from the left? Looks like he's wearing a suit, Trainmaster? Banker? Baker? Brakeman?

Date: 08/17/17 09:34
Author: hotrail

Funny, the train numbers on the cupola are the first thing I noticed as well. I guess that probably helped avoid confusion when everyone was running on timetable authority, or working with authority that was not good until after the passing of a specified train.

Date: 08/17/17 13:32
Author: johnsweetser

The photo would have been taken sometime between 1908 and 1912.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/17 13:34 by johnsweetser.

Date: 08/17/17 21:06
Author: TonyJ

For the few moments before I read the text I thought I was looking and NWP #112.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds