Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Steam & Excursion > Jerry Joe Jacobson has passed away

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/14/17 04:08
Jerry Joe Jacobson has passed away
Author: misterwandle

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of Jerry Joe Jacobson on September 13, 2017. He was 74.

A lifelong lover of steam locomotives, Jerry is best known for creating the 440-mile Ohio Central Railroad System, and for constructing the beautiful Age of Steam Roundhouse in Sugarcreek, Ohio.

Jerry's obituary has been posted onto the AoSRH website at: www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com

Whether or not you knew Jerry, all of us lost a friend.

John B. Corns
Age of Steam Roundhouse

Date: 09/14/17 04:30
Re: Jerry Joe Jacobson has passed away
Author: LoggerHogger

John,

That is very sad news for all of us in the steam community. Our sympathy to you on your loss as well.

Martin

Date: 09/14/17 05:37
Author: rrcaboose

I met Jerry during a track speeder meet on the OC in the late 1980s. At the evening dinner, Jerry told us a story about a trip home on the N&W during his Army service that I will always remember.

He was a nice person.

RIP Jerry Jacobson.

Date: 09/14/17 05:59
Author: Keystone1

This is very sad news. Devastating news. I had a conversation with him about what engines to go for next. The Pennsy I-1, The N&W 4-6-2, already in Ohio and the poor B&LE 2-10-4. He was a good Christian man who loved children, his wife and steam power. He will be terribly missed. God Bless you Jerry.

Date: 09/14/17 06:10
Author: SamRae

Jerry was a gentleman and a visionary in many ways. His love for railroading and steam in particular was legendary. He choose to give back when he could have gone other ways. Rest in peace, Jerry, and condolences to his family, and his friends and associates. He's gone way too soon.

G.F.Payne
Baltimore, MD

Date: 09/14/17 06:20
Author: Frisco1522

I never met JJJ personally, but spoke with him on the phone on several occasions and found him to be one of the "good guys".
R.I.P. Jerry!

Date: 09/14/17 06:20
Author: Mudrock

He was a great guy and let us have the NRHS Convention on the Ohio Central Railroad in 2006.

Chris

Date: 09/14/17 06:33
Author: co614

A true steam lover, devoted family man, devout Christian and friend. I was honored to have met and befriended Jerry during the American Freedom Train project ( 1975-76) and shared many steam adventures through the years with him.

My deep gratitude to him for all he did to keep the steam torch burning brightly and the legacy of steam he so beautifully enshrined in the magnificent Age of Steam Roundhouse in Sugarcreek,Ohio.

R.I.P. good friend. Ross Rowland

Date: 09/14/17 06:56
Author: SamRae

Jerry was a gentleman, a businessman, a railroader and a visionary in many ways. His love for railroading and steam in particular was legendary. He choose to give back when he could have gone other ways. The Age of Steam project stands as a fitting memorial. Rest in peace, Jerry, and condolences to his wife Laura, his family, and his many friends and associates. He's gone way too soon.

G.F.Payne
Baltimore, MD

Date: 09/14/17 07:40
Author: Robertjohndavis

Mixed in among the many accolades that will pour forth over the next few days, there will be talk of his legacy... and I imagine most of it will be about AoSR. I'd like to highlight the human legacy he has left behind. So many of the most committed, talented preservationists in the country cut their teeth with the Ohio Central. Unlike more casual museum groups that might turn out skilled hobbyists, the OC turned out true railroaders whose experience now benefits preservation across the US. Providing those learning opportunities to a younger generation may be JJJ's greatest contribution to the world of steam.

Rob

Date: 09/14/17 09:13
Author: train671

JJJ and David Goodheart ran some great photo charters on the Ohio Central RR when JJJ owned it. Thanks for the
great memories.

Date: 09/14/17 10:42
Author: steamfan759

Every time the call came in from Jerry to volunteer on a photo special, we were on the road from New Jersey. My son got to run his first diesel on the OC thanks to JJJ. He also got his first lessons on firing and his first cab ride in a 4-8-4, again, all thanks to JJJ. I have to echo what Rob posted that there are many people all over the country working on different railroads today that got their start on the Ohio Central. That is a most fitting legacy to live on thanks to JJJ!!

Ron Muldowney

Date: 09/14/17 10:54
Author: daniel3197

NO NO NO --Say it aint so.
I really looked up to JJJ for his tireless devotion to steam railroading.
Sadly I never met him.
RIP and condolences to his friends and family.
---Daniel

Date: 09/14/17 11:03
Author: CP8888

I knew Jerry when he and I worked on the RDG 2102 in Akron, Ohio.
This was in 1968. Jerry professed he was going to buy a steam engine.
My answer: OK Jerry but where will you run it?

His reply: I will buy a railroad.

I thought he was crazy. I WAS WRONG.

Jerry proved it can be done.

Date: 09/14/17 11:30
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

What heartbreaking news, and what a huge loss
to the entire steam preservation community. But
look at his legacy -- the AoS, and, as I learned
just now by reading these beautiful tributes to him,
he also successfully passed the torch of highly-
skilled work on his and our beloved steam locomotives
to the younger generation. That is and will be, as
has been well said above, his most important legacy.

I wish I had known him. He is one the many people
who made the world a better place, and in ways most
of the general public will never know.

RIP, JJJ. The flame you helped light will burn brightly
for a long, long time. Thank you.

My deep condolences to his wife and family and his many,
many friends and associates.

Below is a clickable link to his obituary on the Age of Steam website:

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/images/news_PDFs/JJJ_obit_formatted.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/17 11:42 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 09/14/17 12:33
Author: m1bprr

Sad news indeed, RIP Jerry.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 09/14/17 14:07
Author: OHCR1551

When our son was little, we ran into Jerry and asked if we could take a picture with him. He seemed genuinely surprised and asked "Who, me?" Yes, you!
AOSR stands as his memorial, and also as testimony to the way he learned from the past he loved. It wasn't enough for him to collect steam engines, as so many did; he built them a house, set up the endowment and foundation, and found people to take care of them and teach others to do so.

We have so many memories of OC excursions, shop tours, our first steam cab rides...and none of that would have happened without Jerry. I don't know what engine picked him up, but I'm pretty sure where he's headed. Clear signals on the high iron all the way.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 09/14/17 16:02
Author: agentatascadero

Amen, Sister.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/14/17 17:16
Author: EMD100469

I had the pleasure of working for Jerry in Pittsburgh, Pa. I had gotten laid off from another local railroad and figured I'd apply. He brought me in for an interview and called my mom for a reference! Jerry gave me life advice (at the interview) and encouraged me to marry my then girlfriend. He took care of his employees in Pittsburgh, showing up out of the blue with that big smile on his face and a pile of checks in his back pocket. The Christmas parties he threw for his employees were legendary. He was a good man with a big heart and I'm a better person for knowing him. He helped me keep my career going and my family started. I went from being a conductor and engineer for Jerry to Road Foreman with Norfolk Southern. I named my son Jakob after Jacobson. Unfortunately last time I was in Sugarcreek I didn't get to see him. Rest in Peace Jerry and thank you.
Ross Johnson

Date: 09/14/17 21:54
Author: engrbob

Jerry was a great guy and will be missed.
I met him a couple of times and we had great discussions.
I went to Ohio to ride a couple of excursions he put on for, I think, the Akron club in 2004.
I remember riding in a baggage car with a couple CSX guys getting pelted with cinders.
What a great time.
Also, toured the OCR shop.
Great rides and always a great dinner.
Jerry I'll miss you and the goods times in Ohio.

Photo #1 Jerry watching us go by in the excursion go by from his pickup.

Photos #2 and #3 A couple of runbys that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/17 21:58 by engrbob.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds