Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Steam & Excursion > Santa Steam vs. Santa Diesel

Date: 11/15/17 12:29
Santa Steam vs. Santa Diesel
Author: co614

I'm pleased to report that NH&I steamer # 40 ( Baldwin 2-8-0 ca. 1925) is re-entering revenue service after an extensive 22 month overhaul. This effort has been led by Brendan Ziegler, CMO-Steam ( formerly of Strasburg) and is the most extensive ( and expensive) overhaul she's received in decades. For those of you who do Facebook please visit the NH&I # 40 page and enjoy the many descriptive pictures.

She should run like a new engine.

We have devised a whole new approach to this years Santa trains by creating a Santa's Steam Special ( SSS) version featuring # 40 and a North Pole Express ( NPE ) diesel version featuring one of our heritage units. The two share the common theme of celebrating Christmas, meeting Santa and Mrs.Claus etc. The SSS version is priced at a premium to the NPE version. It will be interesting to see if the general public is willing to pay a premium for steam. VERY early sales seem to indicate that steam is a good seller. Once the season is over we'll have the verdict. We've completely revamped our website ( www.newhoperailroad.com) and raised our prices to what we think the market will bear based in important part on our previous experience. 2017 will be our 22nd. year of Santa trains so we're pretty good at it by now.

I will be on the steam engineers roster from Dec.9 through the 24th.and would welcome any fellow TO members who would like to take a cab ride with me. If you're interested please PM me and I'll let you know which days I'm on duty. The cab ride itself can be booked directly on the website. I look forward to the pleasure of hosting some of you this season.

My early best wishes to everyone for a blessed Christmas and a healthy, steam filled 2018.

Thanks, Ross Rowland

Date: 11/15/17 17:47
Re: Santa Steam vs. Santa Diesel
Author: CPR_4000

Thought I had read somewhere that NH&I didn't see that much of a decline in overall ridership after 40 went down. Any truth to that?

Date: 11/16/17 17:41

That is true. For the past 3 years we've run 100% diesel as our steam engine has been under going a major overhaul. Our ridership has held up very well and our evidence is that vast majority of guests come primarily for the whole Santa experience and what's pulling the train is of secondary importance.

We've gone to the considerable expense of bringing steam back primarily because our CEO loves steam.

I will sure be glad to see steam pulling Santa this year.

Thanks, Ross

P.S. #40 moved under her own steam today for the 1st. time in 3 years. We took her out on the line and all things considered she ran well. She returns to revenue service on Friday Nov. 24th.

Date: 11/16/17 19:51
Author: nycman

I hope you have a great season, Ross. NH&I 40 has a special place in my steam memories, my first cab ride, back in '93 or '95.

Date: 11/17/17 03:37
Author: PlyWoody

Will the NH&I now work on the Mexican paperweight (the 4-8-4) the is owned by Alco Museum?

Date: 11/17/17 04:43

My role on the NH&I is limited to being a seasonal locomotive engineer so I do not have any say in management decisions. My somewhat educated guess to PlyWoody's question is I highly doubt any effort will go into the 3028. Just my best guess.

Ross Rowland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds