Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Steam & Excursion > Albuquerque Today

Date: 11/15/17 19:07
Albuquerque Today
Author: Auburn_Ed

Today in Albuquerque. "Ride behind steam in 2018"!

Ed

Date: 11/15/17 19:08
Re: Albuquerque Today
Author: Txhighballer

That is one big, beautiful beast.....

Date: 11/15/17 19:21
Author: HotWater

Cool photo! Wonder why the valve gear is in forward, instead of on center.

Date: 11/15/17 21:50
Author: A-1

Are there any other operating steam engines in the US with tandem rods?

Posted from Android

Date: 11/16/17 03:02
Author: TrackGuy

I believe 611 has tandem intermediate side rods as does C&O 614.

TG

Posted from Android

Date: 11/16/17 03:42
Author: kbarnett

TrackGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe 611 has tandem intermediate side rods as
> does C&O 614.
>
> TG
>
> Posted from Android

611 does not have tandem rods now.

Date: 11/16/17 05:18
Author: RRBadTrack

One magnificent piece of machinery!!!

Date: 11/16/17 07:35
Author: NKPBernet

A-1 Wrote:
> Are there any other operating steam engines in the
> US with tandem rods?
>
> Posted from Android

Just to correct your statement, the ATSF 2926 is not "operating"... yet. Based on pictures of the 611 from the last "restoration" and the one before it, I don't see a tandem intermediate rod. Perhaps it had one in revenue service prior?

*Picture from Wikipedia & Commons Licensed*

-Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/17 07:41 by dbesade.

Date: 11/16/17 07:46
Author: up3985

There was a discussion on this a while back for more info, but the rods used to be tandem, but the N&W redesigned the rods, rebalanced the drivers and were able to get better speed and less weight flying around for less wear and tear. (If I'm remembering that right)

It was discussed at length a few months ago though.

Date: 11/16/17 08:40
Author: OliveHeights

Is there a trip planned in 2018?

Date: 11/16/17 11:54
Author: callum_out

Me thinks a fund raiser for the Rail Runner would be a worthy cause!

Out

Date: 11/16/17 12:02
Author: CPRR

OliveHeights Wrote:
> Is there a trip planned in 2018?

God I hope so!!!! Btw, congrats on a volunteer group rebuilding a great machine faster than the paid crew in Cheyenne

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/17/17 03:28
Author: PlyWoody

OliveHeights Wrote:
> Is there a trip planned in 2018?

Wake UP readers! There are no agreements to run fan trip in 2018 by NS. The company is in a survival battle against EHH and various Hedge Fund managers who want the stock twice the price. The corporate Norfolk Southern Corporation can not look like it is playing with anything that is not making giant profit to push the stock up. NS is also trying to push the operating ratio way down and is also cutting service to as many customers that it can get away with. Many trains are being cancelled because of low car counts, only to have too many cars for the power the next day. And they bought ties that were dry green wood that did not get treated, and needed to sue the supplier for fraud.

Date: 11/17/17 05:24
Author: RRBadTrack

PlyWoody Wrote:
"Wake UP readers!..."

I think the question was in reference to 2926, and not 611. But you make a good point. The entire eastern railroad scene is up for grabs right now. It is amazing the amount of damage one person can cause.

As far as 2926 is concerned, 2018 may be a bit optimistic, but possible. I'd say that 2019 holds some real potential for 2926.

Prior to any real "trips", I was wondering if the 2926 team has access to using the siding once she is in steam for some basic movements and adjustments?

Date: 11/18/17 12:01
Author: Finderskeepers

I think you will definitely see her in steam in 2018, whether or not you see trips to Las Vegas or ?? in 2018 is another matter. That is another whole ballgame. From what I've seen of the group, they do things logically and progressively, trying not to bite off more than they can chew. I would imagine they would want the new baggage/tool car operational before they head out on the road with her, that might take time.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/18/17 12:35
Author: wcamp1472

HotWater’s comment, above..

There’s something not connected...
The crosshead for the power reverse is at the rear of it’s travel ...
The Walschaerts radius rod is at the bottom of the revers-link....

Typically, you’d want a counterbalance on the cross-frame shaft (to the other side.)... so that the reverse cylinder is not countering unwanted/ unbalanced radius bars weights. Also, the oscillating link, tends to force the radius bar to its center — the power reverse firmly holds the bar’s link block in the radius slot, in its desired position, regardless of the forces acting on the radius bar— trying to move it from its position in the link....As the link block wears, the valve’ travel reduces and the ports can’t open as wide as designec...

It’s ( the bar suspension means) probably on their list of things to ‘set’ properly, before operating ....

Yes, the Timken ‘full-tandem’ rod setup is very weighty.. ( and, yes, The C&O 4-8-4, #614, owned by Ross Rowland is equipped with the Timken, full tandem
setup.)

The larger diameter drivers make counterbalancing much easier than those tiny 70” drivers whirling at too-high speeds....
You could take the “J “ to as fast ( maximum driver RPMs) as you’d dare, — and any 80” drivered-engine, running at the same driver RPM, would easily
sail-on-by....leaving the J in the dust... And that’s just the same driver RPM, the 80” beasts could easily do speeds well in excess of the drivers on the J, even with the “improvements..”

These SantaFe beasts ran without engine change, from Kansas to L.A..... at speeds well above a hundred-per....all day long...
Js could never keep up with that blistering pace...

W.

(Interestingly, the siderods on the runnable UP & SP 4-8-4s are less “mass” and less weighty than the Timken, tandem rod setups, that are common..
and Timken’s are much more expensive...)...

Date: 11/29/17 23:27
Author: Abqfoamer

2926 work: is about 90 percent done,with completion and Form 4 steam-up (recently OK'd by regional FRA inspector) expected by next spring...then--tourist trips after breakin runs, passenger car leasing, equipment car redo, crew training, insurance setup, 7,000-gallon fuel buys, 25,000-gallon water stops, NMDOT permission, publicity.

Has had: 26L brakes installed, MU tender wiring, ground-level tender water fills, second turbogenerator, new tubes and firebrick, new needed staybolts/caps,boiler patches and repairs, new/rebuilt gauges/controls, new brake shoes/ATS shoe, retractable stack extension and sand dome/track sanding system re-installed, new boiler insulation and sheathing in progress.

To come: electrical work completion, cylinder/crosshead/rod set work, other project winding-down details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/17 23:43 by Abqfoamer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0809 seconds