Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP Steam tweet

Date: 11/16/17 15:56
UP Steam tweet
Author: jethat

UP Steam posted a picture on Twitter of their new crane https://twitter.com/UP_Steam/status/931276624527536129

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/17 15:58 by jethat.

Date: 11/16/17 16:11
Re: UP Steam tweet
Author: jst3751

Since 1979? What is the difference between that new one and the one that was there when Steve Lee was in charge?

Date: 11/16/17 16:17
Author: HotWater

jst3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since 1979? What is the difference between that
> new one and the one that was there when Steve Lee
> was in charge?

There wasn't an overhead crane when Steve Lee was is "in charge", as one wasn't needed. That was what the drop table was for, as well as the various "jib cranes".

Date: 11/16/17 16:26

Yeah I didnt think Lee came in until the early 80's..

Date: 11/16/17 16:28
Author: CDTX

I cant really think of anything you need an overhead crane for in a steam shop. Seems like a waste of money that could have gone towards chrome polishing or something.

Jeff

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/16/17 16:39

In the old days they worked on lots of them and they did have a "need. I think the main reason they got rid of the old one was so they could put in a false ceiling that was insulated making the shop easier to work in on those frigid January days. Id it worth having VS the warm shop? thats the real question..

Date: 11/16/17 17:28
Author: Spoony81

jethat Wrote:
> In the old days they worked on lots of them and
> they did have a "need. I think the main reason
> they got rid of the old one was so they could put
> in a false ceiling that was insulated making the
> shop easier to work in on those frigid January
> days. Id it worth having VS the warm shop? thats
> the real question..

They didn’t need it with 3985 and 844 in the past. Give me the warm shop any day

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/16/17 18:29
Author: grampy

I spent 30+ years of my life working on everything from pickup trucks to mine haul trucks ( no steam or RR experience), 24 of those years as a shop foreman. I can tell you, any shop needs an overhead crane and I for one am glad to see they have one now. Can you do without one - yes, & I have. You don't need one big enough to pick a Big Boy, but any time you are working on anything from the size of a semi tractor on up you need something to handle parts, components and materials and the overhead crane is usually the best tool for the job. As far as heating something as tall as a backshop, that can be done too. We had radiant propane heat, heats objects ( including the floor) and not the air. If the floor is warm & what you are working on is warm, life is good.

Date: 11/16/17 20:12
UP Steam
Author: Bob3985

Well like I stated earlier I was there the day they trashed the 250 ton crane. And actually they didn't need to as the drop ceiling could have been installed, which would have disabled use of the crane anyway. When I was on the crew and we needed a heavy lift we used the car department Pettibone, 250 tons, to handle everything we needed done. And yes we used the drop table, big enough to handle 80" drivers.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/17/17 14:04
Re: UP Steam
Author: 2720

The crane mechanism I saw in the photo looks like its maybe 10-15 tons!
Not very stout!

Mike

Date: 11/17/17 15:58
Author: UP6936

I am pretty sure the old crane was taken out long before the drop ceiling was put in. It went out in 1979, and the drop ceiling was late 80's or early 90's. If UP was ok spending to put the new one in, so be it. It is not for us to argue what they want to spend $$$ on. If they can use the tool, then I am glad they have it.

Date: 11/18/17 06:45
Author: grampy

That's all most shops need Mike. It's a rare day you have to lift more than a 5 ton would handle. The biggest shop I worked in, our 'Auxiliary' cranes handled 99+% of the work. The 'small' overhead cranes were used multiple times daily. As Bob mentioned, the U.P. has a large mobile unit for the rare occasion you have a heavy lift.

Date: 11/18/17 06:54

2720 Wrote:
> The crane mechanism I saw in the photo looks like
> its maybe 10-15 tons!
> Not very stout!
>
> Mike

I was there on the tour yesterday and it is a 40 ton crane. I will download and post some of the photos I took yesterday but for now it is time to go open up the model railroad in the mall.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/18/17 07:58
Author: HotWater

Gee, that "big announcement" makes it sound like they replaced the 250 ton crane from 1979. Guess not, but that nice little 40 ton job could be handy. On the other hand, I always preferred the "drop ceiling" and warmth in cold weather, plus all the extra light fixtures.

Date: 11/18/17 15:09

Well 40 tons is what 80,000 pounds? enough to move any appliance. I've seen picture of the old crane moving entire locomotives. I dont really see to much of a need for that much lift..

Date: 11/18/17 19:04
Author: Realist

Isn't this the same shop that was judged as totally
unsuited for steam locomotive repairs and operations
by this same guy?

My God, how did they ever get by from 1979 to 2017 without
that crane?

Date: 11/19/17 09:44
Author: JLee

Bob3985 Wrote:

> I was there on the tour yesterday and it is a 40
> ton crane. I will download and post some of the
> photos I took yesterday but for now it is time to
> go open up the model railroad in the mall.

If you have the time, I'd like to see the photos. And, who made the hoist, too. Thanks.

Everything going well with the mall layout?

Jim Lee

Date: 11/20/17 16:50

> And, who made the hoist, too. Thanks.
>
> Everything going well with the mall layout?
>
> Jim Lee

Here is the overhead crane from where I stood.
The mall layout is still going well. We had just under 400 visitors this weekend.
Halloween night we had 1954 trick or treaters and parents.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0698 seconds