Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Steam & Excursion > Latest update on WMSR #1309?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/07/17 09:25
Latest update on WMSR #1309?
Author: HotWater

Any comments concerning Mr. Garner's latest video update, posted on facebook, explaining the remaining $530,000 needed to complete 1309?

Date: 12/07/17 10:55
Re: Latest update on WMSR #1309?
Author: ClubCar

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any comments concerning Mr. Garner's latest video
> update, posted on facebook, explaining the
> remaining $530,000 needed to complete 1309?
Even though we all feel that this whole project has been mismanaged, I am still hoping that somehow, some way they can get this locomotive together for the upcoming 2018 season. Too much money has already been spent to just let it die there, yet I do understand how many people feel. But honestly, this will not get it done. It's a damn shame for sure but I do want this engine to operate for the sake of the tourist industry up in Cumberland and Frostburg, Maryland. That is a really nice railroad overall and many people come up to Cumberland for the scenic ride up the mountains.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/07/17 11:12
Author: patd3985

I'm not an expert on the subject and know very little about how it works, but maybe they could try a "Go Fund Me" thing?... I've heard about people donating $$$ to worse things...

Date: 12/07/17 11:32
Author: Keystone1

The trouble with several companies sponsoring the repairs.....is that each one would want to put their name on the tender.

Date: 12/07/17 11:37

Keystone1 Wrote:
> The trouble with several companies sponsoring the
> repairs.....is that each one would want to put
> their name on the tender.

So what. If that' what it takes to get her finished, so be it. Nothing wrong with nice cast metal plates along the frame (at public eye level) with large sponsors names.

Date: 12/07/17 14:16
Author: nathansixchime

Yeah, start a company called Chesapeake & Ohio and sponsor the project why don't ya?!

For those curious, here's a direct link to the video: https://www.facebook.com/WMSRailroad/videos/10155836122942970/

Date: 12/07/17 14:57
Author: Realist

Keystone1 Wrote:
> The trouble with several companies sponsoring the
> repairs.....is that each one would want to put
> their name on the tender.

What if it comes down to a choice of steaming with emblems
or not steaming at all?

Date: 12/07/17 14:59

Good one Jack!

Date: 12/07/17 15:16
Author: Jimbo

Yesterday I received a mailing from WMSR urging donations to complete the 1309 restoration. It included a letter from TRAINS Magazine Editor Jim Wrinn and a letter from WMSR. According to the WMSR letter $530,000 is needed to complete additional repairs to the 1309.

Date: 12/07/17 15:25
Author: andersonb109

But if one donates, what assurances are there that it will be enough and the loco will eventually end up running? I like the corporate donation idea. No issues with names of sponsors on the loco as long as they are removed or covered up for photo specials/charters, assuming they ever allow any.

Date: 12/07/17 15:58
Author: 4489

andersonb109 Wrote:
> But if one donates, what assurances are there that
> it will be enough and the loco will eventually end
> up running? I like the corporate donation idea.
> No issues with names of sponsors on the loco as
> long as they are removed or covered up for photo
> specials/charters, assuming they ever allow any.

Really? So as the President of a major corporation I make a large donation with the promise of my company being acknowledged on the locomotive. But it is to be covered up when most people are watching, riding, photographing, videoing etc? I don't think so!!!!!

Date: 12/07/17 16:42
Author: A-1

Realist Wrote:
> What if it comes down to a choice of steaming with
> emblems
> or not steaming at all?
I peeled the neck sticker off a Rolling Rock beer bottle and stuck it on my unlettered HO scale Big Boy model. Doesn't look half bad.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/07/17 22:10
Author: Trainboss

I like the C & O thing, good idea. I don't like the greed of Mr. Corporate hotshot and his ego plastered on her tender. How about telling any corporate sponsors they will be noted on plaques, posters whatever in the depot and at trainside before people board? Even in the brochures that are give always when you buy a ticket, on the WMSR website and if it is appropriate perhaps some of the company's merchandise in the gift shop? Certainly better than ruining the locomotive tender with corporate greed; I think we all see enough of that on a daily basis.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/08/17 04:01

I'd like the engine to appear as it did in 1951, with the crew arriving to work in a beat up 1947 Dodge with mud in the bottom.

Date: 12/08/17 04:30
Author: Finderskeepers

I'm still scratching my head as to why they thought they could restore a compound articulated for less money than they have already spent.
The folks restoring Santa Fe 2926 have spent $2 million using volunteer labour, and they can account for where all the money went. When CP rebuilt the 2816, it cost them $3 million using contractors. All three were long time outdoor exhibits, but only one has 12 drivers and 4 cylinders, so why would they think it could be done for 1.5 million?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/08/17 05:25
Author: RRBadTrack

andersonb109 Wrote:
"I like the corporate donation idea. No issues with names of sponsors on the loco as long as they are removed or covered up for photo specials/charters, assuming they ever allow any."

This kind of thinking really yanks my chain. Although I appreciate historical accuracy, I have no problem whatsoever in having a sponsor's logo clearly visible on a locomotive at all times.

I'm sure someone bitched when 4449 was painted Red White and Blue and lettered for the American Freedom Train. Or when 2101 was adorned with Chessie System paint. Or when 610 was re-lettered for Southern Railway. Or when 5632 was painted gold. Or when 4960 was re-lettered Grand Canyon.

If something like this allows an engine to run ANYWHERE, I'm all for it. Why is it so hard for people to understand that it takes an enormous amount of money to restore and then maintain a steam locomotive? With private donations dwindling, corporate sponsorship is going to become more and more necessary. Those who fork out the cash, deserve to be acknowledged whether or not it is a photo special or charter.

Harrumph!

Date: 12/08/17 06:06
Author: pennsy3750

RRBadTrack Wrote:
> I'm sure someone bitched when 4449 was painted Red
> White and Blue and lettered for the American
> Freedom Train.

Yeah, and I have a pretty good idea who that someone was too.

I'd be fine with it if they got Victoria's Secret to put up the cash and lettered the tender for them in pink script, if it gets the engine running. (In which case, maybe a couple angels posing on the pilot would be a nice touch!)

Date: 12/08/17 06:13
Author: RRBadTrack

Now THERE is an idea!!! ^^^^

Date: 12/08/17 08:01
Author: NE2000

Maybe have the logos of the sponsors put on the side of a tool car?

Date: 12/08/17 08:24

NE2000 Wrote:
> Maybe have the logos of the sponsors put on the
> side of a tool car?

Since when did/does the WMSR have a "tool car"?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds