Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Appreciation 4 A Photo Just to Enjoy

Date: 02/13/18 08:24
Steam Appreciation 4 A Photo Just to Enjoy
Author: BoilingMan

SR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/18 08:42 by BoilingMan.

Date: 02/13/18 08:37
Re: Steam Appreciation 4 A Photo Just to Enjoy
Author: wag216

WoW! ! !. wag216

Date: 02/13/18 08:43
Author: HotWater

Now THAT'S nice!!!!!! Looks like the 1984, New Orleans Worlds Fair trip, the second day out of Klamath Falls, OR. Also note that the train number indicators carry the appropriate correct passenger train number for that territory, based on original Employee Timetables from the late 1940s (which I purchased at some railroad memorabilia shows).

Date: 02/13/18 08:54
Author: LoggerHogger

Coming out of the tunnel at Dorris, CA. Nice shot.

Martin

Date: 02/13/18 09:27

Ha!  I was a bit (but not quite entirely, obviously) reluctant to post these with all the "stack" because they're so.... unDaylighty.  The '49 and her kind were usually so powerful, yet discreet- almost stealthy. 
But it was a cold early morning, and so I guess we're mostly seeing condensation- not an environment normally associated with the GS's. 
These photos capture a kind of "fart in church"- a little embarrassing, but definately memorable.
SR

And yes, Jack, you were displaying  #9, the Shasta Daylight. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/18 09:35 by BoilingMan.

Date: 02/13/18 09:31

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ha!  I was a bit (but not quite entirely,
> obviously) reluctant to post these with all the
> "stack" because they're so.... unDaylighty.  The
> '49 and her kind were usually so powerful, yet
> discreet- almost stealthy. 
> But it was a cold early morning, and so I guess
> we're mostly seeing condensation- not an
> environment normally associated with the GS's. 
> These photos capture a kind of "fart in church"- a
> little embarrassing, but definately memorable.
> SR

Yes, mostly vapor clouds. I try not to make too much smoke, especially in a tunnel. However, I did see the photo line there.

Date: 02/13/18 09:48
Author: ATsf2921-4-8-4

This should be clear so you can see the detail and photographer's line.

Date: 02/13/18 10:07

Hmmmmm...  yeah, well...  I was going for a bit more drama- more of how it felt to me that morning.  An emphasis on the headlight and stack   To my way of thinking, in presenting this with too much information tipped the scales toward a static look, lacking, just slightly, the drama I witnessed.
But it's a matter of taste, I suppose?
SR

Date: 02/13/18 11:15

Sorry but, I prefer the originally posted photo!!!!!!

Date: 02/13/18 12:30

This aspect of photography, manipulation, is where things can get interesting.  The real pros like Steinheimer were obviously masters of composition.  But a subtle, and maybe unnoticed, part of his genius was how he printed his negatives.  We saw them as he decided to present them, and we'll never really know how they could have looked.
ATsf2921 has sort of "outed" my image, or rather, manipulated it more to his/her liking.  I can't quite decide if this is interesting or rude (saying his/her version is how it should be is certainly a bit presumptuous), but none the less illustrates the way photography works.  There are more choices than one may realize.
The choice I made was to emphasize the moment the '49 blasted out of the tunnel that morning.  It was suddenly light, sound, & steam. 
The surrounding detail and photoline, for me, disappeared.
SR

Date: 02/13/18 15:53
Author: 4489

Enjoying the ORIGINAL!

Thanks.

Date: 02/13/18 19:32
Author: RailRat

Super Duper! (1st photo), love that big steam cloud!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 02/13/18 20:33
Author: Hillcrest

Well, I'm no critic but I don't think it lacks anything composition-wise...Key for me here is The Drama! Every girlfriend or unsuspecting buddy I've drug along for a mainline steam viewing have all responded with "Holy..." (fill in the blank with chosen verbiage)as it rolls by. SR, I dig the AFT photos and stories, that event was my introduction to steam, and I've been sitting back and appreciating this series. BTW, I feel it's Bad Form to monkey with another guys art...

Cheers, Dave

Date: 02/13/18 21:23

Thanks, guys!
I’ll post another in the morning. I think I picked out about 17 photos for this series, so it’ll go for a little while.
SR

Date: 02/15/18 11:22
Author: P

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coming out of the tunnel at Dorris, CA. Nice
> shot.
>
> Martin

I knew this as well, but don't live anywhere near there. Passed by there 2 years ago. It's funny how you can instantly recognize so many railroad locations from a photo even if you've only seen it once.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds