Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Steam & Excursion > Excursion with PRR E8s May 9 & 13, 2018 in Pennsylvania

Date: 02/14/18 19:40
Excursion with PRR E8s May 9 & 13, 2018 in Pennsylvania
Author: RuleG

A previous post in this board mentioning an excursion with the Bennett Levin's PRR E8s stated that this trip may the last opportunity to ride behind these locomotives. The discussion focused on the potential impact of the PTC mandate on mainline excursions with steam locomotives and vintage diesels.

For those interested in the excursion itself, the train will depart from Philadelphia on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 and run to Altoona via Paoli, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Williamsport, Lock Haven, Tyrone and Altoona. The return trip will leave from Altoona on Sunday, May 13, 2018, first to go around Horseshoe Curve and then return to Philadelphia via Lewistown, Harrisburg, Lancaster and Paoli.

The excursion is being operated in conjunction with the The Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society's 50th Anniversary Convention being held in Altoona.

I was very interested in the westbound portion of the trip until I read the fare - $1,000, round trip. Looks like a wonderful trip, but the price is too spendy for me. Here's a link to the excursion information:

http://www.philaprrths.com/PRRTHS_TRIP_ANNOUNCEMENT.pdf

For those of you interested in the convention go to the society's website and click on the " Annual Meetings" link in the left hand column. As of today, there is little about the convention, except for hotel information.

http://www.prrths.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/18 22:25 by RuleG.

Date: 02/16/18 04:28
Re: Excursion with PRR E8s May 9 & 13, 2018 in Pennsylvania
Author: Keystone1

I'd be various curious to know, what consist these locomotives are to pull. While 99 % of you don't care, a few do.

Date: 02/19/18 18:40
Re: Excursion with PRR E8s May 9 & 13, 2018 in Pennsylvania
Author: MJV1988

It'd be nice to see Mountain View on the rear. Is it even Amtrak certified? Last time I saw it on a train was the 614 Hoboken to Port Jervis trips.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds