Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sri Lanka Photo Charter

Date: 02/20/18 10:23
Sri Lanka Photo Charter
Author: andersonb109

The following are from my recent trip to Sri Lanka. Yes, I know. It's not American. But figured more would see here if interested than on the International board. If you like foreign steam, hope you enjoy. The trip was run by Far Rail Tours. I was again the only American in the group which was largely German, but also had Austrian, English, Australian, Japanese and Dutch participants. We had 6 days of charters using two different classes of preserved locomotives. The third serviceable loco was in the shops. We traveled by charter train with different formations each day. Best available hotels were used for overnight stays (most were never seen in daylight!) Locos were: 4-6-0 Class B2b No. 213 built by Vulcan in 1922. The second loco was 4-6-0 Class B1d No. 340 built by R. Stephenson in 1945. Photos follow: First is our train at Colombo's main station..Colombo Fort. Second at Hurimaluwa. Third, typical station equipment. All operations in the area were done using the token system.

Date: 02/20/18 10:28
Re: Sri Lanka Photo Charter

More. First, at Peradeniya Junction, the beginning of the branch to Kandy. Second, near Nau-Oya. Third, bridge on loop at Demodera. Here the railway makes complete loop over itself using this bridge and a tunnel under the station.

Date: 02/20/18 10:32

More: First. Locals were used as rein actors to give the appearance of an actual service train, not one filled with foreigners! Second, School girls crammed into a service train. Unlike the U.S., students there are well dressed in clean white uniforms. Third, crossing the bridge at Talawakele.

Date: 02/20/18 10:38

And finally: First,passing a temple at an unknown location. Second, passing a group of Cricket players at an unknown location. This tour most likely won't be repeated as the current railway Manager is retiring. The next may not be as willing to allow the 4 wheel freight wagons and runpasts where the locos are set back on an upgrade. Both locos were very weak and required diesel assistance at all times excepting runpasts. With participants coming from all over the world, it is still beyond me why we don't get more from the U.S on these unique charters. Hope you enjoyed the photos. Visit www.farrail.com (I have no affiliation other than being a client) for similar tours to other unique steam destinations. You won't regret going as long as you don't require much sleep!

Date: 02/20/18 11:17
Author: King_Coal

Great photos!

Date: 02/20/18 14:07
Author: ATSF5669

These are amazing pictures!!!!! Thank you SO much for taking the time to post them.

Date: 02/20/18 14:38

Thanks for the compliments. I also posted some diesel hauled service trains on the International Board if anyone is interested. I also included one of the real reason for the trip, my birthday party in Kiev. No one has ever complained about photos of Yana before so here goes.

Date: 02/20/18 15:30
Author: jbwest

Good stuff. Thanks.

JBWX

Date: 02/20/18 15:32
Author: Harlock

Nice. I went with Bernd on a Zimbabwe trip last year and greatly enjoyed it. That third shot in the first post in terrific.

-Mike

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 02/20/18 16:34
Author: Alco251

Great stuff! More, please!

Date: 02/20/18 17:32

A few more as requested.

Date: 02/21/18 09:55
Author: 86235

Very nice, thanks. Hope you had a good birthday.

Date: 02/21/18 20:23
Author: jbwest

Don't stop there.

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds