Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Steam & Excursion > Before Their Days As Movie Stars These 2 Engines Saw Real Drama!

Date: 03/14/18 03:36
Before Their Days As Movie Stars These 2 Engines Saw Real Drama!
Author: LoggerHogger

The Sierra Railway of Jamestown, California was widely known for the many movies and TV shows that were filmed on the line over the years. The first of these films was shot on the Sierra in 1919.

Over the years Sierra 4-6-0 #3 and 2-8-0 #18 were the 2 locomotives that were most always selected as the stars in the films shot on the Sierra. It was these 2 locomotives that soon became known as the Sierra's "movie star" engines. However, they still had their day jobs of moving freight as well.

In 1910 before anyone had thought shooting movies on the Sierra, #18 had a bit of trouble with her freight train as we see here near Oakdale. Ironically it was the #3 that had been sent to give her a hand in cleaning up the mess of the derailment.

Thus was the daily life of a couple of future movie stars before they were "discovered'.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/18 03:54 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/14/18 08:42
Re: Before Their Days As Movie Stars These 2 Engines Saw Real Dra
Author: ATsf2921-4-8-4

She looks even worse now in Merrill Oregon but at least she was not scrapped.
Maybe someday she will again appear in videos-- as the prime steamer on the Niles Canyon Railway, says I.

Date: 03/14/18 14:54
Author: CPRR

ATsf2921-4-8-4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She looks even worse now in Merrill Oregon but at
> least she was not scrapped.
> Maybe someday she will again appear in videos-- as
> the prime steamer on the Niles Canyon Railway,
> says I.

Only after Fred passes away. Hope the rust fairies will stay away, but looking at last web videos, someone or something better happen.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/14/18 15:41
Author: LoggerHogger

Merrill, Oregon is as dry as it comes. They will last there for decades.

Martin

Date: 03/15/18 11:44
Author: Phil

I get to see the #3 when I watch "Iron Horse" on the Heroes and Icons or H&I Network. Iron Horse was a mid 1960s western show staring Dale Robertson, Gary Collins and Bob Random.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds