Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Steam & Excursion > Montana Daylight

Date: 03/15/18 20:39
Montana Daylight
Author: Frisco1522

I can't believe this was that long ago. Wife and I chased the Montana Daylight from Billings to Bozeman in October 2004. Lousy day,had just stopped raining but managed to catch a couple of good shots. Was great to see Doyle and Jack.
We were driving around Bozeman and saw a small cloud of steam coming from a field and went to see what it was.
Instead of going west where the weather was going to cave in, we went through Yellowstone and even Rocky Mountain Nat'l park. Had overcast at Yellowstone and clear/sunny in CO. Then snow closed it down. We wanted to go north to Glacier, but it was already buried. Beautiful country.

Date: 03/15/18 21:21
Re: Montana Daylight
Author: CaliforniaSteam

The first photo is incredible.... Well done.

CS

Date: 03/15/18 22:00
Author: px320

That was one great trip.

Date: 03/16/18 08:40
Author: ATsf2921-4-8-4

You all know, like some of you, we had the luck to be around to watch the SP's Daylights fire through our home towns, blurring streaks of orange, black, and silver. God those GS classes were-are beautiful.
I believe now that there must be more of them languishing in static displays (stuffed and mounted) somewhere scattered across the continental United States.
Now for my thesis-- I have not seen a word of anyone (group) saying they are going to restore the static for operation. Why? Says I.

Date: 03/16/18 08:51
Author: Spoony81

ATsf2921-4-8-4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You all know, like some of you, we had the luck to
> be around to watch the SP's Daylights fire through
> our home towns, blurring streaks of orange, black,
> and silver. God those GS classes were-are
> beautiful.
> I believe now that there must be more of them
> languishing in static displays (stuffed and
> mounted) somewhere scattered across the
> continental United States.
> Now for my thesis-- I have not seen a word of
> anyone (group) saying they are going to restore
> the static for operation. Why? Says I.

Go do it then, but you do know that only one other GS is preserved right? The GS-6 4460 is at the Transportation Museum in St Louis and I've heard others say its not a good restoration candidate

Date: 03/16/18 12:41
Author: johnsweetser

Frisco1522 wrote:

> Wife and I chased the Montana Daylight from Billings to Bozeman in October 2004.

> We were driving around Bozeman and saw a small cloud of steam coming from a field and went to see what it was.

If you were chasing 4449 and train from Billings to Bozeman, wouldn't you already know what the cloud of steam was?

Date: 03/16/18 12:52
Author: HotWater

johnsweetser Wrote:
> Frisco1522 wrote:
>
> > Wife and I chased the Montana Daylight from
> Billings to Bozeman in October 2004.
>
> > We were driving around Bozeman and saw a small
> cloud of steam coming from a field and went to see
> what it was.
>
> If you were chasing 4449 and train from Billings
> to Bozeman, wouldn't you already know what the
> cloud of steam was?

Well, that little live steam "green thing" (16" gauge track?), in photo #2 above, sure doesn't look much like an SP 4449.

Date: 03/16/18 13:12
Author: nycman

Looks like Durango in the pic with Doyle and the 16" steamer. I managed to get this shot which I posted back then. Now all the semaphores have disappeared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/18 13:36 by nycman.

Date: 03/16/18 14:14

Thank you Jack. I thought maybe people could figure out what I meant.

Date: 03/16/18 16:37
Author: Spartacus

HotWater Wrote:
> johnsweetser Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Frisco1522 wrote:
> >
> > > Wife and I chased the Montana Daylight from
> > Billings to Bozeman in October 2004.
> >
> > > We were driving around Bozeman and saw a
> small
> > cloud of steam coming from a field and went to
> see
> > what it was.
> >
> > If you were chasing 4449 and train from
> Billings
> > to Bozeman, wouldn't you already know what the
> > cloud of steam was?
>
>
> Well, that little live steam "green thing" (16"
> gauge track?), in photo #2 above, sure doesn't
> look much like an SP 4449.

Its a 2.5" Scale/7.5" Gauge 0-4-0 "Porter" if this was taken in Montana...I think it might still be there too...don't know if it is running though...

Spartacus

Date: 03/16/18 21:29
Author: Amtkandy

The 3 3/4” scale 7 1/2” gauge Porter is a very accurate and detailed model of the “Whistling Billy” locomotive used at the Merced Gold Mining Company in California. It was their only locomotive.

This picture was taken at the track of the OR&W railroad in Bozeman Montana. The locomotive was owned by Jim Edgerly and Wes Myers. Shortly after this trip the boiler blew a couple flues and it was decided to replace it. After taking it apart and getting a brand new boiler it was left in pieces for many years due to the health of the owners. This last summer it was moved to Southern California where it will be put back together in the next few years and will call the Riverside Live Steamers it’s new Home.

Thank you so much for that wonderful picture. I had always heard stories that Doyle had visited and possibly ran it but this gives at least a little proof to the story!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/16/18 21:52
Author: OKTrainboys

And that is really quite a photo....and Durango is in it too!! Don, we were all right there in Bozeman too at this time, small world. I am glad that little cute Porter will be ok, and will steam again.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/18 22:13 by OKTrainboys.

Date: 03/22/18 14:56

Yes, he did run it. That's when I saw the steam coming from the tall grass and we drove over to see what it was.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0703 seconds