Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Steam & Excursion > "Headin' Home" with 8444 -- a series 9 of 10

Date: 03/20/18 06:38
"Headin' Home" with 8444 -- a series 9 of 10
Author: Copy19

On the next to the last day of the trip we hit plunging temperatures and snow as we steamed north from Muskogee to Kansas City. The weather didn't seem to have any effect on the crowds as people still lined the right-of-way and crowded around 8444 at the stops. I don't remember if this photo was taken in Coffeyville or Osawatomie. Hopefully you TO folks will recognize the town.

En route we began to notice a quiet man sitting up in dome on the 9004 lounge car. As we compared notes no one seemed to know who he was. Not surprising considering all the people who crowded on and off the train for rides and evening dinners. On board the train from the start was Lowell Turner from the VPO's office in Omaha. He served a dual role watching over the ops and well as entertaining with us at the evening cocktail parties. Not one to fool around, Lowell said he would ask our mysterious passenger who he was. It turned out he was a stowaway who didn't eat or sleep on the train, but got off each night to find lodging and returned in the morning to his nest in the dome car. We don't know long he had been riding with us but my wife remembered him as far back as Houston. He said he was with Amtrak, but I don't remember if he said what he did.

We also were surprised to learn that a friendly young couple on the train who said they were from the Weekly Reader school magazine confessed they had no connection with the magazine.

When we tied up for the night in Osawatomie, KS. we debated what to do with these people. We quickly decided to let them ride on in the next day with us to Kansas because of the severe weather where they could get transportation home.

Date: 03/20/18 12:06
Re: "Headin' Home" with 8444 -- a series 9 of 10
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Thanks so much for the wonderful and touching story, John, and for the great photo! Brrrr!! And, yes, just LOOK at ll the PEOPLE who came out even in the bitter cold to see the magnificent and najestic 8444!

Letting those folks stay on board until Kansas City after you-all found out that they were stowaways was really kind of you-all.

The UP 8444/844 is a real people-magnet, isn't she? <G>

By the way, I have been enjoying every one of your excellent posts about the 8444's journey home from the 1984 World's Fair. More stories and photos, please, even after you finish this series!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/18 12:42 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 03/20/18 15:16
Re: "Headin' Home" with 8444 -- a series 9 of 10
Author: Copy19

Thank you for the kind words, Margaret. I have been very encouraged by the reception this series has received.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/18 20:17 by Copy19.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1031 seconds