Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Steam & Excursion > SAR "Red Devil"

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/20/18 19:17
SAR "Red Devil"
Author: OKTrainboys

Have not seen this posted yet, but wanted to pass along that the S.A. R. 26NC Class 4-8-4 "Red Devil" was dead in tow early this morning on her way to a restoration facility. Ceres Rail Company will be paying for restoration to mainline regular excursion service. Go check out the web page, it's worth some study! There is a HD Youtube clip of the move this morning that is most exciting. Do not believe she will be restored to actual 26NC status mechanically, but rather much closer to her original 25NC configuration, but still, exciting.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/18 21:41 by OKTrainboys.

Date: 03/20/18 20:47
Re: SAR "Red Devil"
Author: patd3985

What is 26NC service?

Date: 03/21/18 00:00
Author: norm1153

This should have been posted in the International discussion. I did do a search on the tube and found some, along with a lot of unrelated stuff. What was there showed it running under speed, among other things.

Date: 03/21/18 00:52
Author: Realist

patd3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is 26NC service?

It's a class designation of the locomotive.
Think K4, GS4, PS4, AC12, T1 etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/18 00:54 by Realist.

Date: 03/21/18 03:07
Author: gbmott

Are any SAR 25s or 25NCs currently operational?

Gordon

Date: 03/21/18 03:24
Author: MaryMcPherson

patd3985 Wrote:
> What is 26NC service?

Red Devil was originally built as a Class 25NC locomotive. The Class 25 came in two varieties, the Class 25 (condensing) and Class 25NC (non-condensing). The difference between the two was condensing equipment that condensed exhaust steam back to water for reuse. The Class 25NC exhausted steam from the cylinders up the stack in standard fashion.

Class 25NC #3450 was sent into the shop in late 1979 for rebuilding with new equipment based on the principals of Argentinian mechanical engineer L.D. Porta.

The following modifications are listed in the Wikipedia page on the Red Devil:

------------------

Combustion

The primary objectives of the modifications were threefold: to improve the combustion and steaming rate; to reduce the emission of wasteful black smoke; to overcome the problem of clinkering.

This was achieved by the use of a single-stage gas producer, the GPCS, which relies on the gasification of coal on a low temperature firebed so that the gases are then fully burnt above the firebed. It minimises the amount of air being drawn up through the firebed, the main source of air required for combustion being through ancillary air intakes located above the firebed.

The most serious waste of fuel in a conventional steam locomotive is the loss of unburned coal particles from the fuel bed because of the rapid flow of air through the grate. With the GPCS, the coal is therefore heated to drive off the volatile components which are then burned in the secondary air admitted above the grate. The result is improved combustion, thereby minimising black smoke, which is evidence of incomplete combustion with the result that unburnt coal particles are ejected through the exhaust.

Engine modifications

Amongst many minor detail improvements, other major modifications to the engine included the following:

A lengthened smokebox to accommodate the tandem double Lempor exhausts.
Offset double chimneys.
A feedwater-heater between the chimneys.
Improved lubrication on cylinder and valve liner rubbing surfaces.
A booster for increased superheating.
New piston valves.
Articulated valve spindles.
New cooled valve liners.
Redesigned chromium cast iron rings and valve liners with streamlined cylinder ports.
New cylinder liners.
Altered valve gear.
Herdner starting valves.
Air sanding.
An altered self-cleaning smokebox.
Enlarged steam chests.
Direct steam pipes.
Improved pistons.
Improved valve and piston rod packings.
An improved variable stroke lubricator drive.
Improved insulation.
Improved Walschaerts valve gear with computer calculated dimensions.
Continental European style high mounted exhaust deflectors, curved round but not parallel to the smokebox.

Tender modifications
The coal capacity of the Class 25NC's Type EW1 tender was increased from 18 long tons (18.3 tonnes) to about 20 long tons (20.3 tonnes) by raising the coal bunker sides.

With all the modifications done, the total weight of the locomotive in full working order had been increased from 231 tonnes (227 long tons) to about 236 tonnes (232 long tons).

-----------------------

Due to the extensive modifications, the locomotive was reclassified as Class 26. She was a one off rebuild, and was the only Class 26.

Test runs began on February 5, 1981, and the modifications were found to result in savings of 28% in coal and 30% in water with a 43% boost in drawbar horsepower. The extra power resulted in a very slippery engine, as the increase in power only exacerbated the low factor of adhesion of the Class 25NC. That said, she was the most efficient locomotive South African Railways had and turned in outstanding performance once she got up to speed.

What is meant by the locomotive being restored closer to Class 25NC status does not make sense to me. Are they planning to "unrebuild" it as she is restored?

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/18 03:27 by MaryMcPherson.

Date: 03/21/18 03:27
Author: andersonb109

Last I looked the Red Devil was steam and this is the Steam board. If you don't like international steam, don't open the thread (it was clearly labeled SAR steam so that would be your first clue). Not sure at this point if any other 25 class locos are in service. Of course there was only one class 26. This is great news that this fine loco will be restored. Sad there won't be a high speed main line for it to strut it's stuff for which it was designed. Photo is from a private charter in 2002.

Date: 03/21/18 04:08
Author: Keystone1

Unfortunately....having been to South Africa three times in my life, I wouldn't go there today, no matter WHAT was running.

Date: 03/21/18 05:17

Perhaps it might sweeten the sour folks that have posted on this thread if it was stated that the S.A.R. 4-8-4's were based on the NYC Niagara design, go look at one. It is a pocket 6000, and amazing steam locomotives in many respects. Further food for thought while we are talking about SAR locomotives, check out what the top speed is of one of their Pacifics, on Cape gauge. Stunning.

Date: 03/21/18 07:20
Author: gregscholl

Having seen this critter in operation once, I for one am glad they may convert it back to a regular 25NC. The Red Devil was a novelty engine, that looked and sounded crappy!!! Having been there twice for regular service stuff in 1977 and 1984, I have to say it was perhaps the best steam show in the world during those time periods. 25NC's are indeed fine engines, and the other classes are also quite nice. Here is a link to my "Greg's Gallery" where you will find a few steam shots as well some SA Steam shots. Most were 8x10 prints my web guy scanned years ago when I started my website. Even a nice shot of 614 there for Ross, too!!
If you click on the image you will see it larger and with a description. Enjoy!
http://www.gregschollvideo.com/gallery.html

Greg Scholl

Date: 03/21/18 07:57
Author: NKPBernet

OKTrainboys Wrote:
> Perhaps it might sweeten the sour folks that have
> posted on this thread

Who was sour? Only thing close would be the comment on going to South Africa today... and I'm with Keystone... I would not go to the area of the world today no matter if it WAS a Niagra running. Good luck to those who are funding and doing the work however.

-Regards,

Dave

Date: 03/21/18 10:39

Brilliant! Keystone1 and dbsade! A wrench is just today being put to a 4-8-4 for her 2018 restoration to active service and YOU are already the examples as to why potential supporters of this locomotive and effort should question supporting the operation. Without supporters and riders your "good wishes" mean nothing. This type of attitude is lock in step with all the Ed Dickens and 4014 vitriol. Were/are you a part of all that mentality too?

Date: 03/21/18 11:10

OKTrainboys Wrote:
> This type of attitude is lock in step with all the Ed
> Dickens

So... curious what Union Pacific and Ed Dickens have to do with the violence and political instability where this locomotive is being restored? Curiously, others have mentioned that this should have been posted in the international forum, were they sour too?

-Regards,

Dave

Date: 03/21/18 11:27

Nice try, Steam is steam; The threads cross over, clearly. Instability in a given region? That is totally out of context in regards to this thread of a 4-8-4 being restored. If they are related in context, then the two topics as they (may) relate to each other would certainly argue that the restoration effort and subsequent operation would be EVEN MORE OF A MIRACLE! yes?!?

Date: 03/21/18 11:30

OKTrainboys Wrote:
> Nice try, Steam is steam; The threads cross over,
> clearly. Instability in a given region? That is
> totally out of context

It is not when you accuse others of being "Sour", you sir have brought it into context.

Regards,

Dave

Date: 03/21/18 11:53

Fine. I started a perfectly legitimate thread about a famous and mechanically modern 4-8-4 being restored to active tourism service and called it exciting, and you threw up all over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/18 12:00 by OKTrainboys.

Date: 03/21/18 11:59

OKTrainboys Wrote:
> Fine. I started a perfectly legitimate thread
> about a 4-8-4 being restored to active tourism
> service and said it was exciting, and you threw up
> all over it.

I merely asked how others were being sour! if anyone threw up and had a temper tantrum it would be you. Regardless, I believe this discussion has run its course... but I wanted to leave you with a thought:

You earlier said that Keystone and I were already examples as to why potential supporters of this locomotive should question supporting the operation... to which I say GOOD! People should be more careful to whom and to what they give money. Its a fact that the area of the world this locomotive is in is unstable, which is unfortunate (Really!). If I were to donate my own cash, I would chose an operation that is financially stable, has good political connections, and has a solid operating record. Best of luck with whatever you were attempting to achieve here.

-Regards,

Dave

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/18 12:05 by dbesade.

Date: 03/21/18 12:10

Interestingly, the discussion, hopefully, has just started. I would invite discussion about the S.A.R. and the Red Devil. gregscholl knows a lot....have seen his video material. The high drivered Pacific's hold the Narrow Gauge speed record IIRC.

Date: 03/21/18 12:18
Author: HotWater

OKTrainboys Wrote:
> Interestingly, the discussion, hopefully, has just
> started. I would invite discussion about the
> S.A.R. and the Red Devil. gregscholl knows a
> lot....have seen his video material. The high
> drivered Pacific's hold the Narrow Gauge speed
> record IIRC.

What would that "speed record" be. Even if it really isn't "Narrow Gauge", as the SAR is "Cape Gauge".

Date: 03/21/18 12:25
Author: robj

HotWater Wrote:
> OKTrainboys Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Interestingly, the discussion, hopefully, has
> just
> > started. I would invite discussion about the
> > S.A.R. and the Red Devil. gregscholl knows a
> > lot....have seen his video material. The high
> > drivered Pacific's hold the Narrow Gauge speed
> > record IIRC.
>
> What would that "speed record" be. Even if it
> really isn't "Narrow Gauge", as the SAR is "Cape
> Gauge".

Narrow Gauge is 2' there I believe. Bob

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0856 seconds