Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Steam & Excursion > Everett Railroad #11 Excursion

Date: 04/22/18 17:39
Everett Railroad #11 Excursion
Author: RuleG

Yesterday, the Everett Railroad ran its Steam to the Cove excursion from Hollidaysburg, PA to Martinsburg, PA. Hollidaysburg, located about six miles south of Altoona, was the location of PRR's Samuel Rea freight car shops.

This was a 27-mile, three-hour round trip excursion over a route which once extended south to Cumberland, MD and a branch off that route.

The #11 is a 2-6-0 built by Alco-Cooke in 1920 for the Narragansett Pier Railroad. It was subsequently sold to the Bath & Hammondsport Railroad around 1937.

With all of the photographers along the route, I thought there would have been some photos of the trip posted on TO. Here are a few which I took as a rider.

1 & 2) At Hollidaysburg before the start of the 1:00 pm trip.

3) The view from the combine behind the locomotive

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/18 18:01 by RuleG.

Date: 04/22/18 17:43
Re: Everett Railroad #11 Excursion

4) After arriving at Martinsburg, #11 uncoupled from the train, turned on a wye and then ran to the other end of the three-car train.

5) A view from the combine on the return leg.

Date: 04/22/18 17:48

6 & 7) The train stopped at Roaring Spring for about 25 minutes where riders could buy ice cream in the depot, see a bit of the community near the depot and/or get photos of the train.

Date: 04/22/18 17:58

8, 9 & 10 - three of the views in black and white.

All in all, a very pleasant way to spend a beautiful spring afternoon.

The Everett Railroad operates a series of excursions from March through December. The next "Steam into the Cove" is scheduled for September 15, 2018. The following is a link to more information:

http://everettrailroad.com/excursions/excursions.aspx

For anyone planning on being in the area, a great place for lunch is The Dream.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/18 18:00 by RuleG.

Date: 04/22/18 18:10
Author: Tominde

Nice trip. I assume no runbys. Any video from the combine of that fine #11 working?

Date: 04/22/18 18:17

There were no photo run-bys. On the southbound portion of the excursion, there was a section of 1.5% grade during which riders in the combine could enjoy the sounds of #11.

Sorry, no video.

Date: 04/23/18 03:35
Author: andersonb109

Nice proper looking train with no open cars or weird paint schemes to muck things up.

Date: 04/23/18 04:10
Author: Keystone1

Now be careful andersonb109, you are beginning to sound like me. That’s the kind of purist comment that I would make.

Date: 04/23/18 05:23
Author: njmidland

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice proper looking train with no open cars or
> weird paint schemes to muck things up.

The Everett is working on a couple of CNJ coaches and recently picked up an ex-NYC/P&LE coach. I believe the intention is to have them look like the ex-B&LE combine that they use. I think the DL&W coaches belong to the local NRHS Chapter.

Date: 04/23/18 06:33
Author: steam290

This looks really great!! It reminds me of TVRM for all the historical accuracy. It's nice to see tourist railroads actually going for historically recreating scenes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/18 05:46 by steam290.

Date: 04/23/18 12:48
Author: rwullich

I went up for the trip. My third time there. Great people and a fantastic little operation.

Date: 04/23/18 20:50
Author: LJohnson

Great railroad and people I had the got to fire coal there thank you Jason and Zach.
LUKE

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3302 seconds