Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Steam & Excursion > photo of "Steam Tunnel Cleaners" on Tehatchapi

Date: 05/21/18 17:07
photo of "Steam Tunnel Cleaners" on Tehatchapi
Author: original

Jack - I think you asked for this photo of the steam cleaning crew. Don't blame Phil ( fireman) for this !
Don't know the cameraman in the middle. The Engineer that day was Vince Cippola (a SP engineer) and Phil Kauke (SF Engineer and Fireman)

Date: 05/21/18 17:21
Re: photo of "Steam Tunnel Cleaners" on Tehatchapi
Author: HotWater

original Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jack - I think you asked for this photo of the
> steam cleaning crew. Don't blame Phil ( fireman)
> for this !
> Don't know the cameraman in the middle. The
> Engineer that day was Vince Cippola (a SP
> engineer) and Phil Kauke (SF Engineer and Fireman)

Thanks. It was definitely Coppola's fault for not easing off and allowing the two diesels to assist. Plus, when he exited one of the tunnels, the 3751 started to slip, and all Cippola did was start to reach for the sander valve. Luckily, one of the 3751 crew members slapped his hand away from the sander valve, and told him to shut the throttle off (that whole event was also captured on trackside video).

Applying sand to a slipping steam locomotive is a sure way to to slip a tire, or worse yet strip the rods right off the drivers!

Date: 05/21/18 17:51
Author: RailRat

Would love to see any video clips of that steam cleaning event back then.

I purchased a Pentrex or Video Rails VHS video of that trip, but it didn't show the steam tunnel cleaning portion.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 05/21/18 19:38
Author: Frisco1522

There was some footage of them leaving LA Union Stn and moving about 10MPH and the engine drivers steadily doing about 50. I don't know if he didn't feel or hear that engine slipping but that kind of stuff can ruin a lot of good work in a hurry.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0277 seconds