Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sometimes, I wish to be living in Duluth, MN

Date: 05/23/18 19:38
Sometimes, I wish to be living in Duluth, MN
Author: RuleG

I feel very fortunate that circumstances bought me Pittsburgh. That said, there are times when I wished I was in Duluth, MN. The Lake Superior Railroad Museum and North Shore Scenic Railroad are one of the premier rail museums and tourist railroads in the US.

Their most recent e-mail newsletter has an announcement of an excursion to raise money for lupus awareness. This event combines a train ride with music, beer and pizza - all for a good cause. This event is being held this Saturday. Wish I was there to partake. More information can be found in this website:

http://northshorescenicrailroad.org/exspecial-lupus.html

In July, there will be the Streamliners to Two Harbors with the Soo Line FP7 2500. I rode a similar excursion during the 2004 NRHS Convention (the last time I was in Duluth) and splurged to ride the DM & IR Northland car. For information about the July 14 excursion (which will have the Northland), go to:

http://northshorescenicrailroad.org/exspecial-streamliner.html

Finally, here is a link to the excursion schedule with Duluth & Northeastern #28:

http://northshorescenicrailroad.org/exspecial.html#steam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/18 19:47 by RuleG.

Date: 05/24/18 12:38
Re: Sometimes, I wish to be living in Duluth, MN
Author: callum_out

And Duluth is ahead of Antarctica for Winter weather.

Out

Date: 05/24/18 13:03
Author: gbmott

Builds character ☃️

Gordon

Date: 05/24/18 13:22
Author: march_hare

30 Below keeps the riff-raff out.

Date: 05/24/18 13:27
Author: HotWater

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 30 Below keeps the riff-raff out.

Especially the "homeless". There is NO WAY Duluth, MN would turn into the "filthy camp grounds" that are all over the place, in downtown areas of, say San Francisco, CA and Portland, OR!

Date: 05/24/18 13:54
Author: LarryDoyle

You'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere with nicer summers. If you're going to shovel on a steam engine, this is the place to do it.

Well, Chama is pretty nice too.

-J

Date: 05/24/18 16:28
Author: px320

The good folks in Duluth run a first class operation.

Date: 05/24/18 18:07
Author: mpe383

Great place to watch trains too!

The still active and fairly unique taconite traffic on the former DM&IR, the busy Chicago-Winnipeg link of the CN system, and BNSF ore, coal, grain and general freight interacting with the port. Add to this the Canadian Pacific and Union Pacific operations and it is an active railroad area. Hopefully their project to bring back Minneapolis-Duluth passenger service goes through!

I am a big fan of the former DW&P and hope to build an operations layout of that bridge route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/18 18:09 by mpe383.

Date: 05/24/18 18:48
Author: LarryDoyle

mpe383 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I am a big fan of the former DW&P and hope to
> build an operations layout of that bridge route.

Make it truly a bridge route and be sure and include a model of DW&P's West Duluth Station, with the track on a trestle at the 3rd floor level! Plans and this photo appeared in July 1958 Model Railroader.

-LD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds