Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Steam & Excursion > C&TSRR = Locomotive 463 = 04

Date: 05/24/18 16:58
C&TSRR = Locomotive 463 = 04
Author: Wacky-roger1942

Locomotive 463 Eastbound to Antonito. I was going to post this video tomorrow (Friday) but I will be in Antonito shooting the media train so I am posting it now.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/25/18 04:31
Re: C&TSRR = Locomotive 463 = 04
Author: Mudrock

Another great video Roger. Keep up your great work this steam season on Cumbres & Toltec scenic Railroad.

Chris

Date: 05/25/18 04:59

Mudrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another great video Roger. Keep up your great work
> this steam season on Cumbres & Toltec scenic
> Railroad.
>
> Chris

Thank you Chris. I am going to try.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 05/25/18 08:49
Author: Earlk

Square as a die.....

Pretty good firing job by the student. He found the hole in two scoops. Now he can sit back and wait for the stack to clear before adding more.

I Liked 463. She was a sweet little mill.

Date: 05/25/18 10:39

Earlk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Square as a die.....
>
> Pretty good firing job by the student. He found
> the hole in two scoops. Now he can sit back and
> wait for the stack to clear before adding more.
>
> I Liked 463. She was a sweet little mill.

IMHO Dillon did gooood.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 05/25/18 11:42
Author: Earlk

463 is a bit tricky to fire. The grates in the back half of the firebox are flat and slope downward in the front. The Mudhens were retrofitted with arch tubes at some point in their life. There is very little room between the grates and the arch way down in front. Its like firing into a mail slot. If can't just lob the coal in, you have to shoot it in with some determination. If you try to lob it in, it will strike the arch and fall short. If you aim too low, you will skid the coal across the center of the box and fall short. The result is a pile of coal about a foot from the front of the grates, with nothing but cold air coming up through the firebox up front.

463's firebox is pretty small, but it is the same dimension as a larger K-28. In fact, both classes use the same grate castings. You fire with a customized #2 scoop. Fire light and often. She has lots of strong draft, but if you get behind and panic, you will slug her full of green coal and be in even more trouble. Like the 480's she likes her coal down the sides, under the door and in the back corners, but you can't ignore the front corners and up front under the arch either.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds