Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Steam & Excursion > Durango to Chama by Car

Date: 06/12/18 21:38
Durango to Chama by Car
Author: glibby

In August I will drive from Durango to Chama to participate in the Trains Magazine freight charter toward the end of the month. I'd like to retrace the abandoned D&RGWng route to the extent possible, through Pagosa Junction, Dulce, etc. From maps I have seen it appears that from Arboles to Dulce, at least, the road is unpaved. Is that road passable in its entirety in a rental sedan? Any tips as to abandoned RR sights along the route? I gather there are remains to be seen at Pagosa Junction. Anything else? Will appreciate all tips and leads.

Jerry

Date: 06/12/18 22:29
Re: Durango to Chama by Car
Author: NDHolmes

The biggest problem is the section between Navajo Tank (west of Dulce) and Juanita. Otherwise, the gravel and dirt is typically in good shape. I wouldn't take a low-slung sportscar over it, but your average American midsize should be fine.

As for the problem section... If it's been dry, it's probably passable by car, but will likely be rough unless it's been graded recently. Just take it easy and you'll be fine. If it's wet, it's a slick, greasy mud that'll swallow a 4WD truck. (I bet you can guess how I know...) It's awful, don't try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/18 22:29 by NDHolmes.

Date: 06/13/18 10:29
Author: P

I approached Dulce from the east last summer and while the road was paved, there was precious little to see of the RR or ROW, although in Dulce, there are a couple of abandoned stock cars on a siding to check out. It was hard to even make out the ROW on much of that section and most bridges were completely gone. Pretty country. Enjoy your search

Posted from Android

Date: 06/13/18 10:59
Author: Jason-Rose

Nathan is right. If it's been raining, don't even attempt the Navajo-Gato section unless you're in a tracked vehicle. The rest is easy.

You can bypass the trouble area if it's wet by taking 84 to 160 (at Pagosa Springs). Just west of Pagosa Springs there are signs for Gato (south). That road is usually in fine shape, as is the road from Gato to Arboles.

Here are some photos from 2010 to give you an idea of what to expect: RioGrandeExplorations.net/2010-rge-day2.html

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/18 11:02 by Jason-Rose.

Date: 06/13/18 14:10
Author: njmidland

Jason-Rose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can bypass the trouble area if it's wet by
> taking 84 to 160 (at Pagosa Springs). Just west of
> Pagosa Springs there are signs for Gato (south).
> That road is usually in fine shape, as is the road
> from Gato to Arboles.
>
> Here are some photos from 2010 to give you an idea
> of what to expect:
> RioGrandeExplorations.net/2010-rge-day2.html

Thanks for the link. I have followed the line south to Farmington but never did much on the Chama - Durango section.

Question: Why was so much track left in place at Pagosa Jct.?

Date: 06/13/18 14:16
Author: Jason-Rose

njmidland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Question: Why was so much track left in place at Pagosa Jct.?

I don't know specifics, but I've been the told the Ute tribe purchased it from the Rio Grande.

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Date: 06/13/18 16:54
Author: WW

There is a section of track left right at Pagosa Jct. (Gato) that holds a gon that was bad-ordered there back in '67 or '68. That area is on the Southern Ute Indian Reservation and they have ZERO tolerance for trespassers even walking off of the road at Gato. With the current fire danger, those roads may not even be open right now, as Archuleta County may adopt Stage 3 fire restrictions.

The other posters are correct--the road from Gato to Dulce is rough in spots, but can be negotiated (carefully) in a car if driven slowly and prudently. If the road is wet, it can be tough even in a 4WD driven by an experienced backroad driver. Remember, most all of the road from Arboles to Dulce in located on Indian Nation land--either Southern Ute in Colorado (though the Southern Ute Reservation has considerable private inholdings in it) or Jicarilla Apache in New Mexico. Visitors are subject to Tribal law and regulations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/18 19:45 by WW.

Date: 06/14/18 11:55

Thanks to all who responded. Greatly appreciate all the leads and advice.

Date: 06/15/18 15:49
Author: jbwest

I chased the DRGW through that area many times in the 60's, and in recent visits the ROW is harder and harder to find. If you can find an old USGS map that shows the railroad, that would be a great help. As others have pointed out there are a few remains here and there, but not much. The tank at Gato has fallen over, but perhaps the old stone pump house is still reasonably intact with the remnants of its steam pump (it was later electrified). And if it is dry you should have no trouble driving, but if it is wet take the above advice.

JBWX

Date: 06/19/18 16:52

Thanks, JBWX.

Date: 06/19/18 19:14
Author: Lackawanna484

If you have extra time, some artifacts of the Chili Line down to Santa Fe are still visible. Highway 285, Taos Junction, etc. Much of the line is on BLM or National Forest land.

Date: 06/19/18 21:39

Thanks. I don't think I would have time to do this. I do intend to try to go from Durango to Farmington and back, and then from Durango to Chama, leaving Durango early in the a.m. and arriving in Chama by dinner time. Think I can make it?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds