Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP#4449 on her way to the Grand Opening of the CA State Museum -

Date: 06/15/18 20:53
SP#4449 on her way to the Grand Opening of the CA State Museum -
Author: spdaylight

A few days ago I posted a film showing a SP freight coming around Sawmill Curve up from The Canterra Loop out of Dunsmuir CA. This film shot with sound shows SP#4449 arriving at Black Butte to get water from the iconic water tank at Black Butte and then coming down grade at Sawmill Curve just after the aforementioned freight passed. Mirrors Amtrak's mid 70's 'Rainbow Era' with her consist. Did the former NP two tone green coaches end up as Daylight coaches?

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/18 20:59 by spdaylight.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/16/18 00:08
Re: SP#4449 on her way to the Grand Opening of the CA State Museu
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Ohhhhh... that is a really really NICE video! LOVE her stack talk at the beginning! And your sequence around the loop is great, too. Those two-tone green cars were part of the late Dick Reynolds' "Great Western Tours" rolling stock. I was on that trip to Sacramento with my sons.

(We got on at Eugene, as, by the time I found out about the excursion to Sacramento, all the tickets from Portland were gone. We took Amtrak to Eugene, and got off around 2 hours before the 4449 was due to arrive, When the 4449 came into Eugene, that was the first time I had seen her in her glorious Daylight attire, and I was overwhelmed with joy, and started saying, "Shes so BEAUTIFUL!! She's so BEAUTIFUL!!" while weeping with joy. I had never seen anything more beautiful in my life!)

Thanks so much for the memories!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/18 20:08 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 06/16/18 03:40
Author: wcamp1472

At the last car: Where’d the steam heat come from?

W.

Date: 06/16/18 04:02
Author: HotWater

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At the last car: Where’d the steam heat come
> from?
>
> W.

From the SDP45 diesel helper. Note it had a steam generator in the long hood end.

Date: 06/16/18 04:48

Margaret....

Thank you for your wonderful story at your sighting of 4449 in full colors..
Your story got me thinking...

Back in 1973 &1974, after avidly reading Richard Wright’s big book on the Daylights, Andy Adams and I worked on a crude soundtrack ( cassette tape) synched to an 8mm movie with clips of the the real Daylight trains, all pulled by steam.

We wanted a dramatic ‘commercial’ to show to Ross ——to buttress why we, the loco crew, were SO enthralled with one of those engines to pull the AFT.
We spent hours selecting and timing various appropriate music somdtracks to fit each movie sequence —- we used a a lot of popular western theme music, and movie dramatic soundtracks

It was fun synch-ing the sounds to each filmed scene. The music really added “punch” to the scenes....
Ross was unimpressed, unmmoved and pounding the pavement seeking sponsors —- 70-some presentations & approaches, —-every one was followed
by a ‘No’...except number 71.

So, the loco crew REALLY became attached to those beautiful engines....
At the time, our focus was on the AFT, way before the RW&B paint scheme was worked out, way before Pepsi said ‘Yes’, and way before actually
getting in front of the ‘49, in Oaks Park.

Of course, we never pictured her in service AFTER AFT, but the loco crew was smitten by the dramatic design of those locos.
I had quit the AFT project; but, lobbied hard to get the 4449 evaluated for a serviceable candidate & to make it possible for Doyle to be hired to do the restoration..... THAT made ALL the difference...

The 4449’ s succeeding years of romps were made possible by the city of Portland’s enthusiastic support of the engine —- and Doyle’s love of that machine....
So, your story of the tears of joy, at first seeing her at this location really spoke to me about the millions of other American folks and families that have been changed by the live and graceful beast....

I sort of knew it would happen —- attracting wonderful people to the project. There were so many aspects of the assembly of the AFT and it’s operarion, that thousands of Americans came together to make all the aspects of the TWO year tour of the AFT come about ——- as a real and dramatic contrast to the
then-current sour political mood that clouded the Country and her people. 4449 changed all that for so many people...

So, I love reading about Americans’ emotional relationships with that engine....the young kids— with mom driving the pace car, as it was captured on movie film, the posted and ALL the shared pics and snap-shots and videos of the loco across the USA —- warm my heart — and bring back so many wonderful memories of the times spent dreaming about the future for 4449.
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think there would be ALL the wonderful tours & events that have followed...

I can’t wait to see 4449 in I-Max....I’ll probably go see it at the I-Max theater in the National,Air and Space Museum, here in Washington, DC—-
probably with tears of deep joy running down my face, too.

I’ll probably stand, shout YES!!! with a big fist-pump in the air...

Wes

P.S.

The big dramatic, replica of the AFT’s Liberty Bell , that toured the country in the Bicentennial Train, is mounted across the plaza from Washington’s
Union Station. I go there once in a while, and pat it, smile and pledge to return...,(”Oh, The Places I’ve Been”, with apologies to Dr. Seuss....)
Thank You, Ross.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/18 05:07 by wcamp1472.

Date: 06/16/18 06:09

Re: Steam heat..

Thanks, Jack...
IIRC, CNJ RR had GP40s with steam generators and 32vdc head-end lighting for the open window coaches ...?

W.

Date: 06/16/18 07:37

PhotoBob

Do you have a shot of 4449 near the bottom of the Loop where you shot the freight going up the Loop when I posted the video last week . . it was a perfect location

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 06/16/18 09:48
Author: asheldrake

Margaret, Wes & Craig.....thank you very much for the picture and postings....we here in Portland are forever grateful for the 4449 selection to pull the AFT and the city of Portland, back in 1958, asking for railroad locomotive donations.

this past Thursday we celebrated a birthday of that Doyle McCormack which was arranged by his delightful wife Laurie.

while we have many great exhibits and stories.....the McCormacks and the 4449 are the ones that bring on the emotion for me also. Arlen

Date: 06/16/18 18:48
Author: 4489

HotWater Wrote:
> wcamp1472 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > At the last car: Where’d the steam heat come
> > from?
> >
> > W.
>
>
> From the SDP45 diesel helper. Note it had a steam
> generator in the long hood end.

OK I feel silly for posting but is not #4449 a Steam Generator? Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Date: 06/16/18 21:11

Wes --
THANK you VERY much for the appreciation, and for your wonderful story. And a HUGE "THANK you" goes to Angus Daniel McDonald, President of the Southern Pacific Railroad from 1932 to 1941, whose idea the "Coast Daylight" was, and to the gentlemen who designed these beautiful locomotives. And of course, I will add my HUGE "THANK you!!" to Doc Church for writing that wonderful book that lit the fire of your passion for the SP 4449. Who WOULDN'T love her? And -- as always -- a GIGANTIC "THANK YOU!!!" to Doyle McCormack and everyone else who worked on her during her first restoration.

Happy Birthday, Doyle!!

Who could ever have dreamed that one beautiful and wonderful steam locomotive could have ignited so much passion and love from so many, many people, or that that love would continue far into the future -- enduring well after humans had sent spacecraft clear out of the solar system???

The people of the Southern Pacific and Lima Locomotive Works GOT IT RIGHT!!!

Some rare and special things will last a long, long time, and the love that millions of people have for the 4449 seems to be one of those very special things that will endure for a very long time.

4489 wrote --
> OK I feel silly for posting but is not #4449 a Steam Generator?
> Or am I missing something?

Of course she is --- a huge one! But -- if the diesel behind her had not had her own steam generator, there would have been no easy way to get any of the 4449's steam back to the cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/18 21:24 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 06/16/18 22:00
Author: photobob

Craig, here's my shot on Cantara Loop

.Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index.html

Date: 06/17/18 04:14
Author: 4489

Yes there would be as the SDP45 has steam lines!
>
> 4489 wrote --
> > OK I feel silly for posting but is not #4449 a
> Steam Generator?
> > Or am I missing something?
>
> Of course she is --- a huge one! But -- if the
> diesel behind her had not had her own steam
> generator, there would have been no easy way to
> get any of the 4449's steam back to the cars.

Date: 06/17/18 12:21

photobob --
Oh, that is a gorgeous photo! Thank so much for posting it in this thread!

4489 --
Thanks for the correction! Silly me -- if COURSE the 3208 had steam lines. Silly me..... LOL!

Date: 06/17/18 13:22
Author: goduckies

I fell in love with the 4449 as a kid when it ran through Martinez. I was born in 78 so mid 80's. I saw her cross the Bridge from afar then round the corner at the station. Wow was i amazed. That day she had a full matching consist, and boy was it amazing looking. I loved trains before, but that day really took me off on my love of trains. I have riden behind her in the all black stampede pass train and on a turn to wishram most times i liked to hang out in the baggage. Wow. What an experience it is to ride on her. Thanks Wes for making that all possible!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/17/18 14:56

photobob Wrote:
> Craig, here's my shot on Cantara Loop
>
> .Robert Morris Photography
> http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index.html

Bob . . as expected . . you didn't disappoint!!

Tbanks for digging this great shot out of your files

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 09/12/18 12:46
Author: phlone

4489 Wrote:
> Yes there would be as the SDP45 has steam lines!
> >
> > 4489 wrote --
> > > OK I feel silly for posting but is not #4449
> a
> > Steam Generator?
> > > Or am I missing something?
> >
> > Of course she is --- a huge one! But -- if the
> > diesel behind her had not had her own steam
> > generator, there would have been no easy way to
> > get any of the 4449's steam back to the cars.

When this train left Portland it did not have an accompanying diesel and the 4449 provided the steam heat.  There was no plan to use a diesel for this trip except where needed as a helper.  At some point south of Eugene the train ran over some debri on the track which damaged the steam heat connection on the tender in such a way as it could not be repaired.   The train ran the rest of the way to K. Falls without heat.  This was a Saturday. As an SP manager at the time, I huddled with the accompanying Oregon Divsion managers that we put out a call to OP&C is SF to have a 3200, which were used in freight service on weekends, added to the point of Amtrak train 14 at either San Jose, Oakland or Roseville.  This unit was added at San Jose IIRC.  It was taken off at K Falls early the next morning and cut in behind 4449 to supply train heat in time for a near on time departure. It arrived in Sacramento in plenty of time to get back to San Jose by Monday morning.     

ACF

Date: 09/13/18 11:10
Author: Notch16

Thanks for this illuminating account, after all these years! The Daylight debut of SP 4449 was amazing; explaining the SDP is a fascinating chip to add to the story.

~ BZ

Date: 09/13/18 15:28
Author: WAF

phlone Wrote:
> 4489 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes there would be as the SDP45 has steam
> lines!
> > >
> > > 4489 wrote --
> > > > OK I feel silly for posting but is not
> #4449
> > a
> > > Steam Generator?
> > > > Or am I missing something?
> > >
> > > Of course she is --- a huge one! But -- if
> the
> > > diesel behind her had not had her own steam
> > > generator, there would have been no easy way
> to
> > > get any of the 4449's steam back to the cars.
>
> When this train left Portland it did not have an
> accompanying diesel and the 4449 provided the
> steam heat.  There was no plan to use a diesel
> for this trip except where needed as a helper. 
> At some point south of Eugene the train ran over
> some debri on the track which damaged the steam
> heat connection on the tender in such a way as it
> could not be repaired.   The train ran the rest
> of the way to K. Falls without heat.  This was a
> Saturday. As an SP manager at the time, I
> huddled with the accompanying Oregon Divsion
> managers that we put out a call to OP&C is SF to
> have a 3200, which were used in freight service on
> weekends, added to the point of Amtrak train 14
> at either San Jose, Oakland or Roseville.  This
> unit was added at San Jose IIRC.  It was taken
> off at K Falls early the next morning and cut in
> behind 4449 to supply train heat in time for a
> near on time departure. It arrived in Sacramento
> in plenty of time to get back to San Jose by
> Monday morning.     
>
> ACF
it was nip and tuck to get it back to SJ. A light movement  of SDPs was waiting at Sacramento to grab 3208 and run to SJ. Didn’t leave SAC until 9pm Sunday nite. The steam connection on 3208 was broken and they had to wye 3208 at KF and it ran backwards behind 4449. Cut out of the train at Tehama, wyed and ran ahead of 4449 to Davis and SAC

Date: 09/15/18 19:48
Author: phlone

I had forgotten the part about it coming off at Tehama and running light the rest of the way; certainly heat was no longer an issue.  However, it did not wye at K Falls.   It was lead unit on 14 coming in and stayed pointed east after being cut in.    

ACF 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1329 seconds