Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Steam & Excursion > Ritualistic Headlight Worship?

Date: 06/17/18 18:41
Ritualistic Headlight Worship?
Author: MaryMcPherson

Okay, maybe not.

Prior to a run from Paris to Carlisle, Kentucky, the crew places the headlight atop the smokebox mount on Kentucky Central 2-6-2 #11. CSX's taking over Trans Kentucky Transportation would end the Kentucky Central's operations, and #11 is stuffed and mounted in a park today.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 06/18/18 06:35
Re: Ritualistic Headlight Worship?
Author: gregscholl

Thanks for the memories Mary. Just the other day I ran across some video I had captured into the external storage drive of #11 on a 3 coach train in October of 1993. I think it was the last run and my brother shot the video. Fond memories of that line since 1987 when L&N 152 ran trips from Paris-Maysville. I got the idea to do a charter and we did that when 152 came back for more excursions in 1988. In 1989 Kentucky Central was born and ran for about 4 years. They some nice Santa Trains each year as well as some excursions. The engine was Ex-Reader, ex Hartwell 2-6-2 #11. I actually rode behind and photographed this engine in 1963 as our family headed for a steam in Mexico trip. As Mary said CSX took back operations of the line, or the insurance issue killed the operation. Today with the coal business what it is, the TTI operation is somewhat mothballed.
I think it last ran in the fall of 2016. My brother shot some video of some of what turned out to be the last runs. So if someone is looking for a nice 50-mile tourist line you might talk to CSX about this one. You would have connections with CSX on either end, with Maysville being on the Ohio River. We have 152 and 11 in a couple different videos we did. Was close to home for us, but alas another one bites the dust!!!
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 06/19/18 10:41
Re: Ritualistic Headlight Worship?
Author: march_hare

I think it's more like a "laying-on-of-hands" healing ceremony. Probably about as effective with headlights as it is with medical patients.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds