Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Steam & Excursion > Illuminated rXr Road Crossing Signs, Riverside,California

Date: 07/15/18 03:17
Illuminated rXr Road Crossing Signs, Riverside,California
Author: RailRat

I remember as a kid in the 1960's and then the 1970's "cruising the Mag" seeing these sings at night, flashing at the Magnolia street RR crossing in Riverside, California, between Jarupa and Central Avenues, when a train was coming.

I think they were dark when no train was coming, or were constantly on and flash a few times, then remain steady "on" for the duration of train crossing, then flash a few times and go dark again after train crossed, or they were on at all times, and would flash when train approached, and remain flashing, until train went by, can't remember which was which now.

They were there for many, many years, untill the over/under road/rail bridge project was completed a few years ago, now they grace the Riverside Live Steamers Park at Iowa and Columbia Ave at the East and South entries.

Are these xing signs unique to Riverside, or were they common across the country at one time?

I was curious about any stories about how they were saved, dismantled, and moved to Hunter Engineering Steam park where they are today?
(That's why I posted my question here instead of Nostalgia and History)

Looks like they are Neon, and that's what I remember in thier original locations.

Sometime I need to go back to the park and take some night shots, unless someone else has one to contribute?

Pics 1&2 are the same sign facing Marlborough ave, in direct sun.

Pic 3 is the other sign, over the main entrance to the passenger station and park. Photo is badly backlit, tried to lighten it up a bit.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/18 15:34 by RailRat.

Date: 07/15/18 09:26
Re: Illuminated rXr Road Crossing Signs, Riverside,California
Author: TonyJ

There once was a larger one just outside of Woodland, Espee's West Valley mainline crossed a local highway at an angle and the sign lit up when the train approached. I didn't live in the area and only saw it working once or twice in the 50s or 60s. - Tony J.

Date: 07/15/18 14:35
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Jim --  
Sorry -- no info for ya on this fascinating RR xing sign.  Just wanted to say I had never seen a sign like that before. 

I Googled "neon railroad crossing sign" and nothing matching the sign in your photos came up.  Dunno if it is rare or not, but it may be.

SO glad it was saved, and installed at the live steamers site!   I'd love to see a night photo of it all lit up!

Date: 07/15/18 22:54
Author: RailRat

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim --  
> Sorry -- no info for ya on this fascinating RR
> xing sign.  Just wanted to say I had never seen a
> sign like that before. 
>
> I Googled "neon railroad crossing sign" and
> nothing matching the sign in your photos came
> up.  Dunno if it is rare or not, but it may be.
>
> SO glad it was saved, and installed at the live
> steamers site!   I'd love to see a night photo
> of it all lit up!

I may or may not have some night shots on my main PC, but it's in the repair shop right now.😂
I just might get a wild hair one of these evenings and go down there for some night shots, but don't know if they are kept illuminated all the tine, or just sometimes to save power, so the city won't be accused of wasting energy!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1047 seconds