Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Steam & Excursion > Fox River Trolley Museum vandalized

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/17/18 10:47
Fox River Trolley Museum vandalized
Author: ghemr

Various news agencies in the Chicago area are reporting vandalsim that took place at the Fox River Trolley Museum in South Elgin, Illinois.......

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/boys-11-and-13-cause-over-100000-in-damage-to-fox-river-trolley-museum/

Date: 07/17/18 11:23
Re: Fox River Trolley Museum vandalized
Author: ts1457

That is terrible.

However security systems are not that expensive. Did FRTM not have one?

Jack

Date: 07/17/18 12:26
Author: NS19K

I know If I had done this at that age,I wouldn't be able to sit down for a month. My father would see to that. Of course, I had a father in my life so I knew to respect other peoples property.

Date: 07/17/18 12:42
Author: HotWater

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is terrible.
>
> However security systems are not that expensive.
> Did FRTM not have one?
>
> Jack

Since a LOT of damage was done by the two kids, if they did have a security system, it apparently didn't work well enough to prevent the kids from breaking in. Even though the two kids were caught, I doubt much will happen to them. You know, "The poor kids didn't have anything constructive to occupy them selves or their minds.".

Date: 07/17/18 12:44
Author: andersonb109

Kids parents, if they have any, should be made to pay for the damages even if means losing their house (if they have one). 

Date: 07/17/18 12:49
Author: HotWater

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Kids parents, if they have any, should be made to
> pay for the damages even if means losing their
> house (if they have one). 

Just what we need, another family on welfare!

Date: 07/17/18 12:50
Author: ghemr

It is reported elsewhere the two kids tunneled under a wall to gain access.......

The only thing more broken than the windows damaged inside our Museum barn, were our hearts!
The Fox River Trolley Museum suffered a terrible burglary, that was discovered on July 7th. As reported everywhere, two boys, 11 & 13 tunneled under the barn wall and did over $110,000 of damage across all seven cars inside the barn.
As we barely hang on financially, we are at a loss for means to repair the excessive amount of damage.

Date: 07/17/18 14:25
Author: kevink

Chicago Tribune reports that the police followed a blood trail from the museum to a nearby home. Residents of the home assisted the investigation. 
It's somewhat fortunate that the damage appears to be limited to broken windows as they could have done a lot worse. 

Date: 07/17/18 14:40
Author: zephyrus

And this message to some folks out there who have bemoaned spending money on fencing, cameras and security at some RR museums I know of...

This is why you spend that money.  Not as "sexy" as restoring a locomotive, but vital to survival.

Now, it does sound like these two were pretty determined, but if your property is wide open and unmonitored, a lot worse can happen more frequently.  So, please, when your museum asks for the $$$ to support some security infrastructure, give them a hand.

Sounds like someone in the family cooperated with the investigation.  I imagine these two and their folks are in for some serious trouble.

Good luck, Fox River.  I'll drop a few $$ shortly.

Z

Date: 07/17/18 16:28
Author: LarryC

Here's link to go fund me page set up for Fox Valley.
https://www.gofundme.com/fox-river-trolley-museum

Date: 07/17/18 16:41
Author: LarryC

Date: 07/17/18 18:01
Author: EMDSW-1

Two years ago three juveniles ages 10, 11 and 13 kicked all but two of the windows out of our SW1200RS. They were caught in the act and sentenced to $3,500. restitution. So far we ave received $215! Bad part was that replacement windows had to be FRA glazing and the unit was out of service for ten months waiting for the windows to be manufactured at a cost of $11,000 for material alone.

Maybe why we get a little harsh dealing with trespassers!

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad

Date: 07/17/18 20:15

Probably luck it was kids breaking things instead of thieves pulling out copper.

Date: 07/18/18 07:20
Author: co614

From the currently available evidence it appears that the 2 vandals come from a prosperous looking neighborhood and thus probably from families with at least 1 parent and high chance of some positive net worth.

I hope the museum sues both families for the total cost of fixing the damage plus plenty for legal fees and " pain & suffering".

This needs to hapen to both cover the cost of fixing the damage and to send a message that the museum will not be anyones punching bag.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Date: 07/18/18 07:31
Author: ATSF3751

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Kids parents, if they have any, should be made to
> pay for the damages even if means losing their
> house (if they have one). 

Thank you Captain Obvious. 

The actions of children under 18 are the legal responsibility of their parents or guardians. It is doubtful that "nothing" will happen to these kids or their parents. 

However, you should be held responsible for comments that lack research or thoughtful analysis. If it was a crime, you would be sent to prison for decades. 

Date: 07/18/18 10:24
Author: Seventyfive

co614 Wrote:
> From the currently available evidence it appears
> that the 2 vandals come from a prosperous looking
> neighborhood and thus probably from families with
> at least 1 parent and high chance of some positive
> net worth.
>
>    I hope the museum sues both families for the
> total cost of fixing the damage plus plenty for
> legal fees and " pain & suffering".
>
>    This needs to hapen to both cover the cost of
> fixing the damage and to send a message that the
> museum will not be anyones punching bag.
>
>    IMHO-Ross Rowland

Excellent idea, and I will gladly help chip in on the legal fees the museum 
will incur to so litigate.

When we were that age, what was the worst vandalism we did?
Ringing doorbells and running off?  It is implausible that this incident
is the first criminal act by these delinquents.  Imagine what is yet to come
from them if they don't learn a lesson this time.  

Date: 07/18/18 10:36
Author: junctiontower

Years ago (late 70's) a high school age neighbor of mine (I was much younger),  got caught with a group of fellow students breaking big windows at the local high school.  The neighbor's parents borrowed the money, paid for his share of the damage, and then made him get a job and pay them back.  Nobody had to sue them, ask, or strong arm them.  They just simply did what they felt was right and never tried to shield the kid from the consequences of his actions. He went through the legal system and took his lumps.  (I imagine he took a few lumps at home too). Today, he's in his mid-fifties, has a fine framily and a great job.  I can't imagine why any responsible parent wouldn't respond the same way my neighbors did, but I know better.

Date: 07/18/18 11:35
Author: NebraskaZephyr

From the video shown in the local TV reports, some of the glass broken was the intricate stained glass in the upper sash of a couple of the cars. These will have to be reconstructed by hand from photos and will be EXTREMELY expernsive to replace, if it's replaceable at all.

OTOH, since their operation is NOT part of the general system and many FRA regs do not necessarily apply to historic vehicles not in regular common-carrier service, they may not have to use Part 223-compliant glazing to replace the broken windows. They may choose to do so in hopes of making a repeat performance more difficult, but IMHO think that money would be better spent on security measures.

NZ

Date: 07/18/18 20:49
Author: OHCR1551

We're not rich, but we have security cameras (both for intruders and eildlife and to watch for flooding.) The software was $80 and the four cameras brought total cost to around $300. We don't have them set to record all the time, but that wouldn't cost anything. Even more expensive software that allows remote monitoring and motion detectors is cheaper than a ton of damages.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 07/19/18 07:22

OHCR1551 Wrote:
> We're not rich, but we have security cameras (both
> for intruders and eildlife and to watch for
> flooding.) The software was $80 and the four
> cameras brought total cost to around $300. We
> don't have them set to record all the time, but
> that wouldn't cost anything. Even more expensive
> software that allows remote monitoring and motion
> detectors is cheaper than a ton of damages.

The security system on my mother's house had a number of very sensitive glass break detectors. The initial cost of the equipment was not much and the devices are wireless. You would have to periodically change the batteries, but they are usually good for several years. Costs less than $20 a month for monitoring. The horn going off and police being dispatched would have stopped what was going on very quickly.

At least someone did not rip out all of the copper.

Jack

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0815 seconds