Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Steam & Excursion > Forgotten and Forlorn Mikado

Date: 07/20/18 17:40
Forgotten and Forlorn Mikado
Author: MC6853

CP 2-8-2 #5361 is seen here on 07/15/2018 on an industrial estate in Depew, NY... Due to the odd place the engine is stored, this is about as well as one can see the engine... Hopefully in the future she can be at least cosmetically restored and sent somewhere for a more proper display...

Date: 07/20/18 19:41
Re: Forgotten and Forlorn Mikado
Author: illini73

About a year ago, there was a discussion about this locomotive with additional pictures on Railway Preservation News:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41025

Apparently, she had recently received a coat of paint but the owner was quoted as saying the locomotive would be cut up if a buyer was not found before his death.  He was quoted as asking $100,000.

Date: 07/20/18 23:27
Author: patd3985

I'd buy........."THAT FER A DOLLAR!"

Date: 07/21/18 13:50
Author: CPRR

Actually, 100k is not that bad. The cost of moving her might exceed that. Then there is the evaluation of restoration to running, a place to do it, fundraising, and the usual BS among rail groups.

What is the address of the spur, anyone know?

My suggestion would be to see if Age of Steam would want her.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/18 13:58 by CPRR.

Date: 07/21/18 17:34
Author: co614

I fhe means it then the heavy odds are she'll be scrapped in place as the chances of anyone being willing to pay 100k for that engine as is where is are near zero.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Date: 07/22/18 18:20
Author: wabash2800

Are there not a few of those CP engines around? Age of steam has at least on CP engine but it's a Pacific isn't it and Steamtown has another?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepubications.com

Date: 07/22/18 18:59
Author: Txhighballer

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-Sk04jJoOF_PvRvSn8_HzFSbwc2uweQ2wYlvjIe1HE0YCk-Y_xI6WuGGbOL6n8IFIntv8ZfPvzToyNS_BYxzjWw/messages/@.id==ALfsya0ipMnGW1U0BQAbWEZDQUM/content/parts/@.id==2/thumbnail?appId=YahooMailNeo&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

I was there today and met with the owner of this locomotive. He has had some health issues, and his intent is to either sell the locomotive or scrap her. The deadline is October.

Overall, the locomotive is in pretty good shape, all the jewelry is in the owners' possession. He has maintained her to the best of his ability, and he would like her to go someplace where she could be properly displayed or operated. She'd be a good engine for someone. Plenty of power, enough speed for what is needed. Serious offers only. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. NO, the owner is not coming down on his price...it's what he has spent over the last 32 years in preserving this locomotive.

Date: 07/22/18 22:15
Author: ts1457

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  I fhe means it then the heavy odds are she'll be
> scrapped in place as the chances of anyone being
> willing to pay 100k for that engine as is where is
> are near zero.
>
>   IMHO-Ross Rowland

I wonder what the owner will net if the engine is scrapped?

Date: 07/24/18 09:24
Author: davebb71

maybe $50,000 in scrap at $165/ton... big MAYBE.   dave, out.

Date: 07/24/18 09:53
Author: Emmo213

Txhighballer Wrote:
> NO, the owner
> is not coming down on his price...it's what he has
> spent over the last 32 years in preserving this
> locomotive.

While I understand his idea that's not normally how it works. At this point I'm guessing it'll get scrapped if he's unwilling to budge. 

Date: 07/24/18 18:28
Author: wabash2800

Pehaps he could sell for scrap price as-is-where-is to someone who might save it and let what he put into it go. Are there any other CP Mikados out there? Perhaps it will end up as some bastardized display for a shopping mall or apartment complex?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 11/02/18 10:19
Author: DQ1927

I was hoping to have found more updates on this locomotive.  Has anyone heard if a buyer or plan to move it has come together?  Surely if the owner would rather NOT see it scrapped, he would take an offer equal to scrap value before actually scrapping it.  His deadline was October, wonder if anything has happened?

Date: 11/02/18 16:36
Author: Txhighballer

DQ1927 Wrote:
> I was hoping to have found more updates on this
> locomotive.  Has anyone heard if a buyer or plan
> to move it has come together?  Surely if the
> owner would rather NOT see it scrapped, he would
> take an offer equal to scrap value before actually
> scrapping it.  His deadline was October, wonder
> if anything has happened?

There is something afoot, but I can't say more at the moment....

Date: 11/06/18 20:33
Author: 576

https://i.imgur.com/Jcc0T4N.jpg

This photo is by a Mr. Peter Potter, and just popped up on a Discord server I moderate. I'm sure I'm not the only who with their fingers crossed.

Date: 11/07/18 08:24
Author: MaryMcPherson

576 Wrote:
> https://i.imgur.com/Jcc0T4N.jpg
>
> This photo is by a Mr. Peter Potter, and just
> popped up on a Discord server I moderate. I'm sure
> I'm not the only who with their fingers crossed.

There's not a date for the photo but if it's fairly recent, that locomotive shows an awful lot of TLC for one in danger of being scrapped.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds