Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Steam & Excursion > NP 4-8-4 2686

Date: 09/17/18 10:56
NP 4-8-4 2686
Author: sig292

I recently purchased some railroad audio tapes (reel to reel) which include the sounds of Northern Pacific 4-8-4 # 2686. I can't play the tapes so I can't tell you about the sounds they contain. I will have to send them out to a sound lab to have them digitized. The three boxes that contain the 5" reels of the NP sounds are labeled "NP 2686 Lv Staples" "NP 2686 Coal Dock Stop" and NP 2686 Lv Mpls. June 20, 1957". Also in one of the boxes was a negative of the locomotive, I scanned it and attached it to this post. Can anyone identify the location? I know there is not much to go on. It appears that the locomotive has attracted some attention among the locals, could this have been a fan trip? Did NP run "Farewell to Steam" trips using the 2686? I can't even be sure if the photograph was taken at the same time as the audio. The audio tapes came from the estate of William Steventon of the Railroad Record Club. Credit is not given on the tape boxes as to who recorded them. It very likely Steventon recorded it but the Railroad Record Club also released audio recorded by Elwin Purington and  I know he made audio recordings of the NP.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken Gear

Date: 09/17/18 12:38
Re: NP 4-8-4 2686
Author: gregscholl

We produced a video last fall called "Western Steam Trips", which is a collection of steam-era fantrips with engine running on their home railroads.  There are 3 different NP engines in the video, including 1911, 2626, and 2686, from St. Paul to Staples, MN.  The 16mm film was shot by a guy on the train, and shows a fair amount of servicing at Staples, plus a runby, and a bit riding on the return.  I believe your photo is at Staples.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 09/17/18 12:43
Author: Keystone1

Go on Ebay and buy a reel to reel recorder/player.

Date: 09/17/18 13:58
Author: CPRR

I can digitize audio tapes, assuming the tapes are in good condition (stored in the box, in plastic bag, and have not been in a damp environment). Can make MP3, or what ever format you want. Can even put on cassette. 8 track would be a problem.....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/17/18 20:28
Author: Panamerican99

I have 16mm film of a NP fan trip which I believe has this engine, The film shows a service stop, adding the engine to the train and some cab ride footage. It was shot by Everett Rorher (sp?) and we have yet to include it in a DVD but probably will in the future. I can also digitze the 1/4 inch tape providied it is in good condition and put the sound on a CD for you. let me know if we can help.

-Jim Herron
Herron Rail Video

Date: 09/18/18 08:31
Author: sig292

Thanks to everyone for the information. I also appreciate the offers for digitizing the tapes. I have already sent the tapes to sound lab. They have been kept in an unheated garage in Wisconsin since at least 2007 and I do not presume to have the knowledge to accurately evaluate their condition, so I wanted a professional to handle that work Thanks again to everyone.
Ken Gear

Date: 09/18/18 10:34
Author: PHall

sig292 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks to everyone for the information. I also
> appreciate the offers for digitizing the tapes. I
> have already sent the tapes to sound lab. They
> have been kept in an unheated garage in Wisconsin
> since at least 2007 and I do not presume to have
> the knowledge to accurately evaluate their
> condition, so I wanted a professional to handle
> that work Thanks again to everyone.
> Ken Gear

I wouldn't get your hopes up, but maybe they can save the tapes. They're probably very brittle now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds