Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Steam & Excursion > She's Come Full Circle - From Losing Steam To Gaining Steam!

Date: 09/22/18 03:34
She's Come Full Circle - From Losing Steam To Gaining Steam!
Author: LoggerHogger

These first 2 photos capture what many thought to be the final death of Skookum in February 1955.  They were taken just hours after she rolled of the short trestle into Schlick Creek near Deep River,. Washington.  We see he steam slowly escaping from her boiler into the cold winter air.  All to soon, all her steam would be gone and she  would grow cold for what most felt would be a death that she could never recover from.

Fortunately, due to the foresight of Charlie Morrow, who bought her and took her out of the woods in pieces, Rogan Coombs who bought her from the Morrow estate, and finally Chris Baldo, who engaged Scott Wickert and the crew at Oregon Coast Scenic to restore her, Skookum was fond building steam pressure once again this last Thursday at Garibaldi, Oregon.

The last photo shows steam escaping from the very same whistle that Skookum had on her on the fateful day in 1955 when she took her historic tumble.  This time, however, the steam pressure is rising in her boiler as she starts a new lease on life and a return to steam operation.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/18 03:43 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/22/18 04:10
Re: She's Come Full Circle - From Losing Steam To Gaining Steam!
Author: cozephyr

Marvelous images of Skookum's unfortunate incident at Schlick Creek in 1955 and her miraculous rebirth thanks to the Oregon Coast Scenic Railway.  Martin-appreciate your posts!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/18 04:12 by cozephyr.

Date: 09/22/18 08:34
Author: Ironman

Martin, I want to say I always appreciate your posts.

This is an awesome post.  I've never see wreck photos of her.  Just the pics of her rusting in the woods.

What are the plans for her now?

Have a great weekend,

Alan

Date: 09/22/18 13:51
Author: nycman

Wonderful news of Skookum's "resurrection."  Nice work to all who were involved.

Date: 09/22/18 16:36
Author: steamfan759

This is a great post and story.  We have all seen the photos of the locomotive on her side in the woods, but I have never seen a photo showing her last gasps of steam!  You have a great library of photos and thanks again for sharing.  Now if we could just find her original builder's plates!!

Ron

Date: 09/23/18 08:05
Author: wpdude

Nice article in current issue of "Trains" magazine, thank you Martin!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0296 seconds