Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Steam & Excursion > Schuylkill Haven Borough Day

Date: 10/10/18 17:02
Schuylkill Haven Borough Day
Author: OCtrainguy

Celebrating it's 30th year, the town of Schuylkill Haven (PA) held their annual Schuylkill Haven Borough Day.  My son and I headed out to check out the festivities.  Key to this website and what we wanted to see were a pair of steam engines in town.  The group with the CNJ 0-6-0 #113 brought the steam engine down from Minersville and sat at the station under steam.  In addition, the Reading & Northern was running passenger trains down to Port Clinton with a GP30 on the south end and R&N 4-6-2 #425 on the north end.  So it made for a good day with the two steam engines!  Onto the photos.

1. R&N 425 sitting at the station while passengers board
2.  The second trip of the day departs.  The maroon paint for the GP30s (R&N calls them GP39s) looks very good when matched with their maroon coaches.
3.  The steam engine trailing 

More to follow.. 

Date: 10/10/18 17:07
Re: Schuylkill Haven Borough Day

Continuing the photos...

4.  Photo of the CNJ steam engine at the southern end of the station area
5.  Not best for lighting, buy here is a side view of the steam engine
6.  The 2nd trip of the day returning to the station

As the CNJ engine was open, my son and I spent a lot of time chatting with the guys about the engine and trains in general.  My son also recently joined the Black River Historical Trust group, so he was getting a good look at the cab area of the CNJ steamer.  The chat helped all of us lose track of time..  More photos to follow. 

Date: 10/10/18 17:11

Continuing the photos...

7.  The photo I was waiting for, both steam engines in close proximity of each other, but the sun gets blocked by a cloud...
8.  One more of CNJ 113 and a 250th Anniversary of Anthracite banner on the pilot
9.  My son and I went to photo the 3rd trip, catching the return leg in Auburn.  Does anyone know what line the trestle in the background belonged to?

One more photo and two videos to follow..  

Date: 10/10/18 17:29

The excursion train got back to Schuylkill Haven before we could and the steam engine was uncoupled from the train and was north of the station.  Turns out that the two steam engines and their crews had posed for a photo together.  We got the end result with the R&N steam engine coupled back to the consist at the station and the CNJ steam engine ready to go home as seen in the last photo.

10.  Two steam engines saluting each other.  With some toots of their whistles, the CNJ 113 headed home and then the R&N did as well.

11.  In this video, the 2nd trip of the day heads out of the station and the two steam engines each give a whistle as the train leaves.
12.  The second video is of the 3rd train of the day heading north through Auburn

We both the enjoyed the day.  For me, seeing and getting inside the cab of only 1 of 2 surviving CNJ steam engines was a big highlight.  I do enjoy seeing and appreciate the R&N 425 running, so having the two togwther was an added bonus.  For my son, he was focused on the R&N 425, but came away with an appreciation on the 113.  Hope you enjoy the photos and videos! 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/10/18 20:28
Author: Bob3985

You have to love the echo of the whistle as the locomotive approaches.
Thanks

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/10/18 21:28
Author: RBMN-ENGR

Frisco 3 chime.

Chris Bost
Leesport, PA

Date: 10/11/18 04:49
Author: jmbreitigan

Fantastic. I really enjoyed the pictures and that last video was great.
John

Date: 10/11/18 05:12
Author: boejoe

The bridge you referenced most likely was the ex-PRR to Pottsville.

Date: 10/11/18 12:24
Author: anthracite

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bridge you referenced most likely was the
> ex-PRR to Pottsville.

Confirmed; ex-PRR Schuylkill Branch from Philadelphia.

Date: 10/11/18 20:48

Thank you! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds