Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Steam & Excursion > Southern Doubleheader Headed South Toward Summerville

Date: 11/05/18 16:28
Southern Doubleheader Headed South Toward Summerville
Author: MaryMcPherson

Kurt and I first chased steam together in 1991 so after over a quarter-century gaseous-di-hydrogen-monoxide fueled ferro-equinology, we work together pretty well as a team.

This video, shot the previous Sunday, shows Southern Railway 2-8-0 #630 leading 2-8-2 #4501 southbound from Chattanooga toward Summerville, Georgia.  With two of us, one vehicle and the easy pace of the train, we were able to split up at most location.  At most places I'd drop Kurt off at one location, double back to a second location, get my shot, and then pick Kurt on the fly after he got his shot.  Some places we'd only be a couple of blocks apart; at others several miles apart.

The locations are as follows:

1. Departing Grand Junction at the Chickamauga Creek bridge

2. Whiteside Tunnel through Missionary Ridge
Kurt jumped out at the tunnel well before daybreak to be in place before the locomotives backed to Grand Junction to pick up the train.  I drove over to Grand Junction to catch the locomotives arriving and then departing at the bridge.  Once the train left I drove over to East Chattanooga to pick Kurt up, arriving just as a caravan of photographers was leaving.  From there, it was on too...

3. Rossville, Georgia
We frequently shot from this residential area on the Missionary Ridge grade on the former Central of Georgia, but we decided to change things up a tad.  Rather than shoot from the slightly elevated vantage point by the street, Kurt decided to walk up the track a bit toward the tree line to get more of a head-on view.  I initially planned to go to the bottom of the hill, but a Church playing music on their loudspeakers nearby was not something I wanted clashing with the sounds of the locomotives.  I ended up back up the grade a couple of blocks north of Kurt's location... and yeah, that's my big butt by the crossing in Kurt's shot, working around a stop sign as I adjusted one of two cameras.  The street name closest Kurt's camera is appropriate enough, as every shot we have gotten there is "Allgood."

4. Rock Spring, Georgia
When most people shoot at Rock Spring, they work an old trackside building into the shot.  We've both been there, done that, and were looking to change things up.  Kurt shot from the crossing north of the more photographed location, while I hooked around on a side street on the other side of the tracks.  Our two shots are combined into one sequence.  You can see the photo line in the background in both shots.

5. Noble, Goergia
The neoghborhood girls obviously had other things to do on Sunday morning, as the kids that made for such a cool scene Satuday afternoon were nowhere to be seen.  That's okay, as the doubleheader put on a fine show without any help.

6. Oakton, Georgia
One last shot, as the train rounds the curve at Oakton.  Photo line?  No problem.  I extended the tripod to nearly it's full height and shot over the top.  At eight feet tall, I call it my anti-personnel crowd-buster tripod.

I'm glad everyone had enjoyed the videos resulting from this trip!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/05/18 17:05
Re: Southern Doubleheader Headed South Toward Summerville
Author: MC6853

Oh no, the first engine has flags on it... Where is he?

All joking aside, excellent video... Wish I had more steam like this near where I live (Upstate NY)...

Date: 11/05/18 18:17

We were actually talking about the whole flag thing.

The difference between #1702 and #630 is the size of the flags.  #1702's boiler banners are simply oversized.  They are out of proportion and as a result are jarring.  The flags on #630 are much smaller, and are no bigger than the white or green flags used in the steam era.  They fit the profile, rather than overpower it.

Just my 3.6749 cents, not adjusted for inflation or the fluctuations of currency exchange rates.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 11/06/18 04:01
Author: Keystone1

No....I am not going to get into this. Everyone knows my feeling about decorating locomotives in non standard, prototypical or functional display. “Because we can, and it is our engine” are not acceptable excuses. BUT...as we all know, the “kids” on line truly don’t care about trying to make the scene look 1940. ...PERIOD.   BTW, that’s why people will pay $750 for a weekend with Pete Lerro’s photo charter with a couple of pre-war, muddy, pick-up trucks.

Date: 11/06/18 09:38
Author: BKLJ611

In case anyone was wondering the two flags were the American flag and state flag of Georgia. 

Date: 11/06/18 12:20
Author: Keystone1

Oh, those two flags would look good, displayed on a bank or post office.

Date: 11/06/18 13:34
Author: MC6853

There he is...

Date: 11/07/18 14:12
Author: BKLJ611

Old men are, for the most part, very opinionated and like to complain about stuff. The ones here on TO's are no exception. Everyone needs to accept that fact and we can all move on. 

Date: 11/10/18 12:11
Author: IC_2024

Thanks, Mary, for the excellent work and sharing it with us—have to check out 630 and 4501 for myself, someday!

Date: 11/10/18 18:26
Author: wabash2800

Why don't you ignore him like you do me?<G>

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

BKLJ611 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old men are, for the most part, very opinionated
> and like to complain about stuff. The ones here on
> TO's are no exception. Everyone needs to accept
> that fact and we can all move on. 

Date: 11/11/18 15:58
Author: MEKoch

Your video is fine.   BUT you did not show the entire train as it passed by.  Passenger car buffs are plenteous.  You are missing some fans.......

Date: 11/12/18 08:27

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your video is fine.   BUT you did not show the
> entire train as it passed by.  Passenger car
> buffs are plenteous.  You are missing some
> fans.......

Same trainset as the previous video with 4501 leading solo, and that one does show the entire train at the end.  You can only fit so much in 6 minutes, and I had a series of shots I wanted to include.  Something has to give.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0661 seconds