Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Steam & Excursion > Week-long September C&TS Trip, Day 1: Antonito Arrival

Date: 11/11/18 20:15
Week-long September C&TS Trip, Day 1: Antonito Arrival
Author: wko

Sunday, September 23, I departed Loveland, CO, for Antonito, CO, for the shortly-announced Chili Line charter run by the Cumbres & Toltec itself, to be run on September 24. I arrived into Antonito around 12:30, and had a little down time before I would join member drgw0579 to chase the daily eastbound back into town.

Since this was the week prior to the Friend's charter and a week of work session, he said why not just stay down there for the work week and then be down there for the charter? Hmm, that's a pretty good idea, why not? So, I signed up for the work session and we departed.

Photo 1:
Sitting in nice mid-day light, DRGW 315 sports its newish coat of D&RG 425 paint, the same number it wore when it was on the D&RG. The 315 crew members were working on the locomotive, but it happened to be on the opposite side.

Photo 2:
489 leads the daily eastbound downgrade between Sublette and the curve at MP 305. The light here was not good, but it actually brought out the foliage in my opinion.

Photo 3:
489 heads south on one of the line's many different directions, giving us very nice afternoon light. Bill had wanted to do this shot for awhile, and I'm glad I was along for it!

Back into town we go!
~wko

Re: Week-long September C&TS Trip, Day 1: Antonito Arrival

Photo 4:
The 489 is now facing west as it pulls into the station at Antonito. A hostler and a car attendant wait for the train to come to a stop before springing into action.

Photo 5:
489 backs towards the engine house as 315/425 sits on track 2, waiting to be fired up. To the left we see the afternoon shuttle bus taking some riders back to Chama, and on the ground we see a driver off the 168

Photo 6:
489 has been put into position for evening servicing, and looks nice positioned next to the 425.

Now to set up the charter.
~wko

After the 489 got put into place, the hostlers and conductor went over to the south end of the property, where the train for the next day's charter was waiting. They would then do some switching moves to get the 1907 Ford Model T onto RGS flat car #7455. This whole process took between 45 minutes and an hour, and can't be shown real well with pictures (I was shooting video of all of this).

Photo 7:
The Model T now rests and is strapped down onto the flat car, and sits in wonderful evening light. The logo on the gondola behind it was just a bonus.

Photo 8:
With the light getting lower, I went back to the 489 and the 425 for some sweeter light than I had gotten an hour earlier. During my absence, a fire was lit in 425.

After all this was done, I headed west towards Cumbres & Chama, as the bus for the charter departed Chama at 7 AM. I had the back of my vehicle set up for sleeping, so all I had to do was find a place. But first...

Photo 9:
After eating and while getting myself ready for bed, I brought out the tripod and took a picture of Cumbres, where the full moon behind me was rising, and there was just enough light still coming from the west to illuminate Windy Point and the valley.

I would spend my night here, getting to sleep early enough that it made for a decent night's sleep, which would be very necessary when I'd wake up at 4:35 to 26 degree weather! The next day would be my 1st charter ride, so I was ready for it. That post will come either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed!
~wko

Date: 11/12/18 05:31
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for the great images Kirk. Your last two are classic photos.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/12/18 19:01

Thanks, Bob! It was fun taking the picture at Cumbres, as it was cool, but still upper-50s, allowing for a nice crisp evening, and not a sound in the air!
~wko

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds