Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Steam & Excursion > Week-long September C&TS Trip, Day 2: Chili Line Charter

Date: 11/12/18 18:35
Week-long September C&TS Trip, Day 2: Chili Line Charter
Author: wko

Click here for day 1

Day 2, Monday September 24, I awoke at Cumbres, CO, with the temperature estimated to be in the mid-20s at roughly 4:35 AM. I slowly made my way down into Chama to get to the yard by 6:15, plenty of time to change, eat breakfast, and get everything I needed for a 7:00 bus departure to Antonito.

We arrived into Antonito around 8, and after some safety briefings we were off. This charter was a re-creation of a typical Chili Line train sometime between 1916 and 1919 (I don't remember the actual year being recreated). Our first runby was set for Hangman's/Ferguson's Trestle just before 9 AM.

Photo 1:
425 brings its train along the line before curving south.

Photo 2:
The train has curved south over the trestle.

Photo 3:
As they were stopped to get the riders back on, I took the time to grab this shot of 425 basking in the sun.

Let's keep going!
~wko

Date: 11/12/18 18:35
Re: Week-long September C&TS Trip, Day 2: Chili Line Charter

Photo 4:
Our next runby of the day was at the Lava phone booth. I was fortunate to find a brief hole in the brush for the drivers.

Photo 5:
The 3rd runby was at the middle of the Whiplash curve where the line is heading back northeast.

Photo 6:
With our train backed into the wye at Big Horn, the daily passenger train passes by led by 489. This was shot out the boxcar door, as they weren't going to let anyone off for the meet. Then, those of us on the rider boxes/gons noticed everyone who was riding in the historic 292 coach were wandering around, but we were told we had a good enough view for the shot. I'd have rather had the meet.

Let's continue west!
~wko

Date: 11/12/18 18:36

Our final runby of the day was located at the S-curve near MP 303.5.

Photo 7:
The train is still backing up as I snapped this one off. It allows for focus on the 425 and the two completed historic cars.

Photo 8:
The runby shot I was going for.

Photo 9:
A full-wide shot of the scene. Full disclosure: I Photoshopped out several riders on the hill above the smokestack (they let us off on that side of the train) as well as Photoshopped the door closed on the 1st boxcar, as they had left that open due to letting us all off on the opposite side.

Westward, hoe!
~wko

With our final runby in the rearview mirror, it's time for some riding pictures.

Photo 10:
A look back at the Model T riding along near Toltec Creek.

Photo 11:
A specatular look back at the Toltec Gorge, THE shot to get on the east side of the line.

Photo 12:
When we stopped for water at Los Pinos, we (on the riders cars) were told to stay on the train, but then we looked out and everyone who was in the coach was getting out, so we forced our way out for a stopped shot. Then it was back onto the train for the departure.

It was then on to Cumbres, where we stopped for water and a brake check, which lasted approximately 40 minutes. They were having issues with the brakes on the RPO, and we ended up stopping on the 4%, 3 or 4 times. Overall, it was an interesting experience, but I'm definitely glad I was able to participate in the railroad's 1st official historic train. Plus, this is the first time I've seen the 315 running, so that was a big bonus as well.

Let's look at that historic-ness.
~wko

Here's a close-up look at the historic equipment.

Photo 13:
RGS 7455 flatcar with the 1907 Model T riding.

Photo 14:
RPO #54. I think it would be cool for future charters to allow people to ride in the RPO, as the multiple doors could help with getting people on and off. That's my personal opinion, though, which I know is full of holes. Also, there are authentic trucks being worked on to properly back-date this car for future, past performances.

Photo 15:
Historic coach #292. This was I think only the 3rd time it had been across the line, definitely a beaut!

Day 3, Tuesday, will either come tomorrow or the day after. There will only be a couple photos, as it was a friend's work session day, and I only had my phone camera with me for most of it.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed!
~wko

Date: 11/12/18 18:51
Author: drgw0579

I really like how that turned out. I saw the train leave Antonito, but it looks a lot nicer in its element.  The 425 looks really good; the DRHS did a good job on back-dating.

Bill Kepner

Date: 11/12/18 19:04

drgw0579 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> <SNIP> The 425 looks really good; the DRHS did
> a good job on back-dating.
>
> Bill Kepner
>

I'd argue they did a great job! While the ride itself had its quirks, we had A++ equipment to work with. Next time I think they could maximize the "Chili Line effect" by starting earlier out of Antonito, then turning the train at Osier and returning, but I get why it had to be done this way.
~wko

Date: 11/13/18 05:53
Author: twjurgens

Great shots Kirk!  Especially like the flat car load.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds