Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Steam & Excursion > IAIS Steam In June

Date: 12/01/18 10:39
IAIS Steam In June
Author: MaryMcPherson

While perusing the Trains Newswire, I noted that four 45 minute steam trips have been announced on Iowa Interstate from Menlo, Iowa, next June 29th.  Like last year's Mitchellville and Brooklyn trips, these are to be fundraisers for the local fire department.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 12/01/18 11:20
Re: IAIS Steam In June
Author: callum_out

And it mentions a second use of the engine as well, sensible program for a good cause.

Out

Date: 12/02/18 01:59
Author: dan

do the fire departments follow the train?

Date: 12/02/18 13:18
Author: MaryMcPherson

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> do the fire departments follow the train?

Sho 'nuff.  They get extra points if the ladder truck can replenish the tender's water supply at track speed!

Okay, no.  Not really.

Passengers board in the town whose F.D. is benefitted, and the train does a short out-and-back trip with a diesel leading one way with the steamer leading the other.  Last year's trips are the only ones I have experienced, but they did plan the train so the steam locomotive led on the leg where it would work the most (not that Iowa is known for its heavy grades).

HERE is a link to a video I posted from 6988's trips in August.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 12/02/18 14:59
Author: Keystone1

Really nice work Mary. Thank you.  

Date: 12/04/18 09:57
Author: MILW86A

Heard rumours of a possible mid May trip somewhere in Illinois. Chillicothe I believe.

MILW86A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0269 seconds