Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Steam & Excursion > Smoke and Steam in Plymouth WI

Date: 12/04/18 06:32
Smoke and Steam in Plymouth WI
Author: kevink

On Friday, November 23, we ventured north to Wisconsin in search of the annual Santa train that runs between Plymouth and Elkhart Lake WI on the Wisconsin Southern. The train had traveled to Plymouth from Hartford, WI on Thanksgiving and was resting at the city park on the northwest side of town when we arrived. Many of the local kids had the chance to meet Santa in the Milwaukee Road ribside caboose. Finally in late afternoon, the train backed its way to Elkhart Lake for another ceremony before returning to  Plymouth. Here's some video my son shot. Scene 1 is the Soo 1003 waiting patiently in Plymouth. Scene 2 is the train starting its backup move to Elkhart Lake in a cloud of steam and smoke. The last scene is just north of Plymouth at County Hwy. J. Enjoy! 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/04/18 06:40
Re: Smoke and Steam in Plymouth WI

Here's some photos of the train.
1. Soo 1003 waiting at the city park in Plymouth
2 and 3. MILW 57449 a nicely restored Milwaukee Road flatcar with a small load of Christmas trees. I was somewhat dubious at first but a little research once home revealed that it was one of the series of flatcars the Milwaukee Road converted for early TOFC service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/18 06:44 by kevink.

Date: 12/04/18 06:44

4. MILW 02012 - this was used for the kids to visit with St. Nick
5. Soo 268, MILW 10559 and Soo 1003
6. Soo caboose 247 on display in Elkhart Lake, WI

Date: 12/06/18 21:18
Author: IC_2024

Good work, Kevin! It’s awesome that they can keep 1003 stored inside that auto museum, too— beautiful engine... I participated in an HTP 1003 photo charter a couple years ago and had a great time!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds