Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Steam & Excursion > Interesting Mt. Washington Cog Photos -- Walt Dunlap

Date: 12/04/18 14:27
Interesting Mt. Washington Cog Photos -- Walt Dunlap
Author: MartyBernard

If you are interested in cog rail steam, I posted six photos here: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4682921 

Date: 12/04/18 19:48
Re: Interesting Mt. Washington Cog Photos -- Walt Dunlap
Author: Keystone1

The last time I was there, it was 100% steam. Today, how often does steam run?

Date: 12/05/18 18:32
Author: cchan006

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last time I was there, it was 100% steam.
> Today, how often does steam run?

I visited in October, and I studied their schedules on their web site before the visit.

There seems to be at most 2 steam roundtrips per day, usually in busy seasons. The day I went, there was only 1 roundtrip per day. During slower seasons, it's either 1 roundtrip or no steam.

Some of the tourists cancelled their steam tickets once they realized that the heavy fog was going to shorten the trip and the trains weren't going to hit summit. The biodiesel trains were just as full as the steam trains, probably because most people didn't want to wake up early and catch the 2nd train of the morning, which was the only steam trip.

Date: 12/05/18 21:13
Author: Mgoldman

Heavy fog shortens trips??

/Mitch

Date: 12/05/18 21:35
Author: cchan006

Mgoldman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heavy fog shortens trips??
>
> /Mitch

I found the reason strange in hindsight since Mt. Washington is known for crazy weather far more violent than fog, but that seemed to have been the reason given that morning when the Cog Railway announced that they'll be giving partial refunds for people still choosing to ride the train halfway to summit, or full refunds (minus the convenience fee for online purchases) for people who didn't want to ride at all.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds