Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Japanese Style for Steam Lovers

Date: 12/06/18 19:22
Steam Japanese Style for Steam Lovers
Author: Krokodil

Just came across this link with amazing pictures of Japanese steam and railroad photography, looks like it was a professional photographer with free access to rail facilities. Nether mind the text is al in japanese, the pictures speak for themselves!

http://home.t01.itscom.net/ohki-ph/2nd%20Level/PhotoAlbum%20Index%20Page%20001.html

Thomas Eckhardt
Hurricane UT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/18 19:23 by Krokodil.

Date: 12/06/18 21:19
Re: Steam Japanese Style for Steam Lovers
Author: cchan006

Krokodil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just came across this link with amazing pictures
> of Japanese steam and railroad photography, looks
> like it was a professional photographer with free
> access to rail facilities. Nether mind the text is
> al in japanese, the pictures speak for
> themselves!

Shigeru Ooki is definitely a professional photographer. Some of the texts he has posted in your link are rather philosophical and poetic.

Tokyo-born, Tokyo-raised, 71 years old. According to his profile, he transitioned to digital photography 17 years ago, but most of the work in the link you posted are from the 1960s (film). He has published some books on European trains, which should raise some curiosity on how a Japanese looks at trains there.

Date: 12/06/18 23:14
Author: Odyssey

Thank you for sharing ...

A classy set of B&W images ... beautiful!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 12/07/18 04:49
Author: Keystone1

Excellent steam photography. I spent 2-weeks in Japan in December 1970, photographing steam. What impressed me is that you are not a spy or an odd ball doing this. Children go to school with pictures of steam locomotives on their book bags. Or, the letters SL. The steam locomotive is loved and respected there. Great photography in this site.

Date: 12/07/18 07:56
Author: gregscholl

Amazing what one can do with regular service steam operations.  He seemed to cover all aspects of steam railroading from human interest and those dramatic views.  I enjoyed the winter, and the vista shots of the different junctions, and of course the seaside shots.  I guess I just liked it all.  My daughter went to Japan a few years ago to visit a friend, and sent an email several photos of a preserved line with a 4-6-2.  Made my day is this link did.  Thanks.
Greg Scholl

Date: 12/07/18 10:35
Author: patd3985

I also spent a lot of time photographing steam in Japan in 1967-68. I was in the Navy at the time and would spend my liberty time in the railroad yards and along various lines chasing trains! My sailor buddies thought I was "NUTS" not wanting to go to the bars and drink and other things (wink, wink). I gave all the pictures and movies I took to my father and they seem to have gotten lost in history after he died. Nobody knows where they are now....Sad....

Date: 12/09/18 16:14
Author: Harlock

Wow, amazing. Some of the things he was doing are things that are even hard with a DSLR. My hat is off to the man.

If there were a book with all of these photos, I would buy it.

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds