Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 8444 Back from Yoder, WY

Date: 12/09/18 15:14
UP 8444 Back from Yoder, WY
Author: bobwilcox

In 1968 the UP allowed a fan trip to Yoder, WY via Egbert and the North Platte Extension.  On the return, we did a run by at tunnel 11 near Albin, WY.  We were running late so the City was stopped at Egbert, WY for us going east.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 15:39 by bobwilcox.

Date: 12/09/18 15:24
Re: UP 8444 Back from Yoder, WY
Author: up3985

I don't know if its a typo, but the town is actually called Albin. I used to work for a pig farming operation based there a couple years ago. I do like that area a lot.

Date: 12/09/18 15:39
Author: Bob3985

Yes Albin tunnel number 11. Only tunnel on the Nebraska Division when Cheyenne east was in the Nebraska Division.
This was sort of limbo territory as it bounced back and forth between the NE & WY Divisions.
This North Platte cutoff, completed in 1927, was on the fourth district for train and engine crews out of Cheyenne east.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/09/18 15:40
Author: bobwilcox

Thanks, I've corrected the spelling.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 12/09/18 20:03
Author: gregscholl

Cool shot.  I was on that trip.  I remember the tunnel runby, and you are probably in my shot as I was further in the back and have some fans in my shot as I recall.
I remember the big smoke plumes.  Also remember standing in the vestibule on the last leg to Cheyenne and guys timing mile posts, and saying we were doing 90mph!!!
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds