Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sleeping now but wait for next spring

Date: 12/09/18 19:33
Sleeping now but wait for next spring
Author: wpjones

I know, not the kind of Steam you were expecting but RR Steam none the less.
ex CB&Q material crane from Havelock (Lincoln) NE. Its on the grounds of Camp Creek Threasures. It suffered tube failure 12 years ago and has been under going boiler work and replumbing all steam supply piping to meet current Nebraska Boiler code. The Boiler is retubed, 9 new stay bolts, all studs retaining steam chest covers and manifolds replaced with marked and correct length. All new fire brick.
All major plumbing is done only small stuff and some burner plumbing remain. I hope to have it under steam in the spring to address and other issues for final inspection by Nebraska stae boiler inspector.
After it is certified it should be opperational at our show in July.
Once it is up and running how many other RR steam cranes are opperational in the US?
It is a Browning built in 1924 I think. The boiler was replaced in 1949 by a new one from Browning we know its been on its side atleast once and wonder if that is when the boiler was replaced. We also assume that is when it was converted to oil from coal for fuel.
Any questions or info are welcome. I also have lots of photos to many to post them all
Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/18 13:06 by wpjones.

Date: 12/09/18 19:37
Re: Sleeping now but wait for next spring

three more

Date: 12/09/18 19:44

Last two for now.
Steve

Date: 12/10/18 11:01
Author: wjpyper

Great pix! Thanks for posting.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Date: 12/10/18 12:04
Author: CDTX

I can think of two railroad steam cranes off the top of my head. One in Oregon and another in Willits, CA at Roots of Motive Power.

Date: 12/10/18 12:56
Author: Kimball

What is meant by "...studs marked..."?

Date: 12/10/18 15:30

The studs are marked on the end for grade. So you have to pay attention when you put them in so the marked end is out. Also the nuts are oversize and marked also. Next time I'm out there I will try to remember to take photos of this.
Steve

Kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is meant by "...studs marked..."?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/18 17:45 by wpjones.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds