Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Steam & Excursion > Scrapper of steam locomotives at Riverside yard Cincy?

Date: 01/02/19 08:30
Scrapper of steam locomotives at Riverside yard Cincy?
Author: Baxtersta

I am looking for the name of the scrap yard business adjacent to Riverside Yard in Cincinnati, OH in teh late 1950s.  They cut up many steam locomotives there.   

Date: 01/02/19 08:34
Re: Scrapper of steam locomotives at Riverside yard Cincy?
Author: NKP779

Was it the David Joseph Company?

Date: 01/02/19 19:20
Author: gregscholl

There were two along River Road, west of Riversides New York Central Yard.  I have a B&W of a partially scrapped NYC Mohawk about 1956-57.  One was Moscowicz(Spelling?), and the other escapes me.  Jim Herron would know as he got some souvenirs there.  I spent many days along there chasing NYC and B&O with my folks when I was under 6 years old!
You can see some samples of films my dad shot on our website.  "New York Central Steam Finale", and "B&O Steam".
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 01/02/19 20:38
Author: Panamerican99

The scrappers were David J Joseph Co. and Moscowitz Brothers. Both are still in business but not at the old locations.
I bought a builder's plate from N&W Y6 2130 for $ 5.00 from one of them. They would sell you anything at that time.
Over the late '50's-early '60's they scrapped locos from B&O, NYC, Southern, Clinchfield, L&N and N&W, maybe more.
Their yards were adjacent to each other along River Road, west of downtown Cincinnati between the NYC and B&O tracks and the Ohio River.
-JH
www.herronrail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/19 20:41 by Panamerican99.

Date: 01/03/19 16:40
Author: Baxtersta

Thanks Jim and others.   Charlie 

Date: 01/05/19 12:18
Author: Goalieman

Panamerican99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The scrappers were David J Joseph Co. and
> Moscowitz Brothers. Both are still in business but
> not at the old locations.
> I bought a builder's plate from N&W Y6 2130 for $
> 5.00 from one of them. They would sell you
> anything at that time.
> Over the late '50's-early '60's they scrapped
> locos from B&O, NYC, Southern, Clinchfield, L&N
> and N&W, maybe more.
> Their yards were adjacent to each other along
> River Road, west of downtown Cincinnati between
> the NYC and B&O tracks and the Ohio River.
> -JH
> www.herronrail.com

Jim:

Can’t thank you enough for the videos of the Nickel Plate Road that you produced. Being a native of Fort Wayne and hungry for her railroad history, I’ve watched the dvd’s that I’ve purchased many, many times. What a privilege to be able to go back to the days when the Berks pounded the rails near the twin St. Mary’s River bridges adjacent to West Wayne Yard or right by the Parrot Meat Packing plant just west of East Wayne Yard. PRICELESS!! Many, many, thanks!!!

Warmest Regards,
Mark V.
Fort Wayne, IN

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds