Home Open Account Help 122 users online

Steam & Excursion > WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?


Date: 01/09/19 09:40
WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: tehachapi-dave

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad has posted an annoucment video featuring Director John Garner on their Facebook page, amongst other annoucements, a new date has been set for #1309's return, Independence Day weekend.  Their website reflects this now with ticket prices posted.  Garner says that the wheels still need to be reinstalled, along with brake work and some other plumbing work on the locomtovie.  With all this complete they are hoping to begin trial runs under steam somewhere near the end of February - early March.

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.  



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/19 12:16 by tehachapi-dave.



Date: 01/09/19 10:09
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: Spoony81

Didn't they learn anything the last time about announcing a completion date ?



Date: 01/09/19 11:36
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: P

Spoony81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't they learn anything the last time about
> announcing a completion date ?


Apparently not.

Posted from Android



Date: 01/09/19 11:45
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: Bridge60

John Garner also says, in a video posted to the WMSR facebook page that the Big Boy will not run until 2020 :)



Date: 01/09/19 12:13
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: HotWater

tehachapi-dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Western Maryland Scenic Railroad has posted an
> annoucment video featuring Director John Garner,
> amongst other annoucements, a new date has been
> set for #1309's return, Independence Day
> weekend.  Their website reflects this now with
> ticket prices posted.  Garner says that the
> wheels still need to be reinstalled, along with
> brake work and some other plumbing work on the
> locomtovie.  With all this complete they are
> hoping to begin trial runs under steam somewhere
> near the end of February - early March.
>
> Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.  

Any way to provide a link to that video interview? I went to the WMSR site, and couldn't find any video by Mr. Garner from January 2019.



Date: 01/09/19 12:13
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: co614

Insanity= Doing the same thing over & over and expecting a different result. For all involved let's hope this time they'll deliver.

   Ross Rowland



Date: 01/09/19 12:15
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: Appalachianrails

Try this: https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156832260197970&id=345300237969&anchor_composer=false

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tehachapi-dave Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Western Maryland Scenic Railroad has posted an
> > annoucment video featuring Director John
> Garner,
> > amongst other annoucements, a new date has been
> > set for #1309's return, Independence Day
> > weekend.  Their website reflects this now with
> > ticket prices posted.  Garner says that the
> > wheels still need to be reinstalled, along with
> > brake work and some other plumbing work on the
> > locomtovie.  With all this complete they are
> > hoping to begin trial runs under steam
> somewhere
> > near the end of February - early March.
> >
> > Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.  
>
> Any way to provide a link to that video interview?
> I went to the WMSR site, and couldn't find any
> video by Mr. Garner from January 2019.



Date: 01/09/19 13:24
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: andersonb109

Sign me up. Oh wait. I already signed up for  trip that was suppose to happen over a year ago. And it took months of calls and e-mails just to get a re-fund. Thanks but no thanks. 



Date: 01/09/19 15:07
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: kurt765




Date: 01/09/19 16:49
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: RuleG

The end is near?  That makes it seem like a bad thing.  Looks like a beginning to me.



Date: 01/09/19 17:13
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: cchan006

kurt765 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TRAINS has an article:

Thanks for the link, and instead of video, John Garner is quoted in there:

Garner also said the engine would be the largest operating steam locomotive in the world in daily service but went on to mistakenly say that would hold true until Union Pacific Big Boy No. 4014 operates in 2020. UP plans to run No. 4014 starting in May 2019.

I'm posting an excerpt for archival reasons, which may or may not be useful later. I believe the word "mistakenly" is in there due to TRAINS editorial staff.

I'm guessing John Garner is "doubling down" on his committment date to overcome the negative PR from last year - damange control. All the snarkiness in this thread is justified (even if they are proven wrong), and should be a lesson to everyone about BAD public relations.

Regardless of that, hope WMSR 1309 will run this year.



Date: 01/09/19 17:43
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: Bridge60

Nice that the railroad's name is spelled "SENIC" not "Scenic" in this video that has the production quality of a 4th grade social studies project.  But hey, there's a drink menue in front of him.



Date: 01/10/19 08:40
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: PHall

Bridge60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice that the railroad's name is spelled "SENIC"
> not "Scenic" in this video that has the production
> quality of a 4th grade social studies project. 
> But hey, there's a drink menue in front of him.


Now, now, we're not allowed to correct people's spelling here. It might hurt their feelings...



Date: 01/10/19 08:53
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: aehouse

Bridge60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice that the railroad's name is spelled "SENIC"
> not "Scenic" in this video that has the production
> quality of a 4th grade social studies project. 
> But hey, there's a drink menue in front of him.

In this forum, all should be spelled "cynic."

Art House



Date: 01/13/19 00:59
Re: WMSR #1309 - The End is Near?
Author: Check_A1E_Perf

Pretty witty there Art. And you're spot on.

Posted from Android



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds