Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Steam & Excursion > My View of The 576 Move

Date: 01/13/19 17:05
My View of The 576 Move
Author: SD80MACfan

I was amongst the croud of people that walked along Charlotte Ave. in Nashville as NC&StL #576 was moved from Centennial Park to the Nashville & Western yard at 12th Ave. While I was mainly recording with my video camera or walking the majority of the time, I did manage to get a few shots with my regular camera. It was interesting seeing the throngs of people and all the cable, electric and public safety vehicles moving along with the 576 to make sure the route was safe and clear.

Date: 01/13/19 21:21
Re: My View of The 576 Move
Author: norm1153

How was this moving?  That is, I do not see a tractor coupled up in front of this trailer.  It can't be self-propelled, or is it?  Kind of unusual.

Date: 01/13/19 21:34
Author: wpjones

It is self propelled. When the 4023 was moved in Omaha seveal years ago it was on "I" beams and lots of house moving dollies but was also self propelled by two or more of the dollies.
Steve

norm1153 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How was this moving?  That is, I do not see a
> tractor coupled up in front of this trailer.  It
> can't be self-propelled, or is it?  Kind of
> unusual.
>  

Date: 01/14/19 00:46
Author: boejoe

Is this special dolly mechanism powered by batteries?  I don't see a gasoline or diesel engine NOR do I see an operator...  Great piece of equipment but wish I understood how it operates.

Date: 01/14/19 01:18
Author: E25

Here's a pretty good explanation of the self-propelled modular transporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL3YvOe0ZgE Or search for "Mammoet Self-Propelled Modular Transporter (SPMT)" on youtube

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 01/14/19 08:18
Author: anotherera

If you have Facebook, you can see videos of yesterday's operation on both the Trains Magazine thread, and also at Nashville Steam. The operator walked behind the engine the whole way, controlling the movement of the trailer. Today, Trains Magazine is going to post a video of the operation via a Go Pro camera attached to the operator.

Date: 01/14/19 09:52
Author: grampy

Most people are railfans ! Note the lineman up in the bucket on the right side of this picture. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds