Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Steam & Excursion > Hiding In Big Cities One Could Find Some Small Steam Locomotives!

Date: 01/16/19 03:50
Hiding In Big Cities One Could Find Some Small Steam Locomotives!
Author: LoggerHogger

While some of the largest mainline railroads that his country had frequented the largest cities of the land during the steam era, one could also find some of the smallest railroads hiding in the forgotten corners of these cities too.  One example of this is seen in this January 15, 1951 photo taken in Seattle, Washington.

Here we see a small narrow gauge Porter-built 0-4-0T shoving her single car of material for the furnace around the plant at the Bethleham Pacific Steel plant in the heart of Seattle itself.  Few if any railfans of the era would have known about this little steam locomotive or even been lucky enough to catch her at work inside this big steel plant.  Fortunately at least one photo of her working survives to this day.

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/19 06:09 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/16/19 05:53
Re: Hiding In Big Cities One Could Find Some Small Steam Locomoti
Author: pennsy3750

Neat little engine, and I had no idea Bethlehem ever had a West Coast mill. 

Where was the fuel stored?  Part of the saddle tank used for oil maybe?

Date: 01/16/19 06:08

I assume there is a section of the saddle tank that serves as the oil supply and the rest is water.

Martin

Date: 01/16/19 07:34
Author: asheldrake

yet another GREAT piece of PNW railroad history.....ok to forward to The Trainmaster newsletter Martin?     (stay warm)....           Arlen

Date: 01/16/19 08:51

Arlen,

No problem.

Martin

Date: 01/16/19 21:28
Author: railstiesballast

I believe it was Bethlehem who owned a small steel mill/foundry just south of Los Angeles.
Whoever the owner was it had narrow gauge track into the 1970s that I saw from the former PE La Habra line a little east of Alameda St.
I was "too busy" to go back and try for some pictures through the gates and fences.

Date: 01/16/19 21:30
Author: JimBaker

Bethlehem also had a mill in Huntington Park off of Slauson Ave. in the Los Angeles area.
Had narrow gauge Whitcomb locos switching ingots out of the furnaces.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/19 21:32 by JimBaker.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds